Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Middlesex -1911 census

mrfrank

Does anyone know if the 1911 census returns for this battalion in India were listed by Company? Basically, I'm after finding out who were the B Coy officers at the time of the census - so if anyone has access to that info I'd appreciate it. 

Mike

1911 Census for Military Overseas seems to have data for units by the Company. 3 Battalion Middlesex were posted to Straits Settlements (Singapore/Malacca and a couple of islands in the vicinity) for 1911,according to the publication below.  1 Battalion were in India. There is a thread here about accessing the data. Topic 196781. I leave it to you to find.

Also Hart's Army List for 1911 has some officers listed (See pages 470 to 473 where the first 4 Battalions have their number against an officers name) but not Companied:

https://archive.org/details/hartsannualarmy1911lond

Later:

Now  noticed from the Topic 196781 that there is a list for 3 Battalion in India, so may have been a split year for the unit,some in Singapore some in India. Can't get past a summary page for each Company, even though it says there are several pages on the header page, so you may have to see what you can expand upon there.

Edited by sotonmate