Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How the 1918 Flu Pandemic Revolutionized Public Health

TGM

I notice you don't list John M. Barry's book there.

I thought it was an excellent review of the US situation and wiht particular attention to the deplorable state of public medicine in the US in the late 19th early 20th Century. (I am midway through Spinney's book at the moment)

Chris

1 minute ago, 4thGordons said:

I notice you don't list John M. Barry's book there.

I thought it was an excellent review of the US situation and wiht particular attention to the deplorable state of public medicine in the US in the late 19th early 20th Century. (I am midway through Spinney's book at the moment)

Chris

Thanks... as mentioned above I was just thinking...

TGM

Thank you for this post and as a result I will be taking a keener interest in this subject and will look into buying John M Barry's book.

Maxi

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted a HistoryExtra podcast of an interview with Catharine Arnold on her new book Pandemic 1918: The Story of the Deadliest Influenza in History.

• 3 months later...

Worth listening to today's Start the Week: Survival and Destruction (BBC Radio 4) with Jonathan D Quick.

(also includes a contribution by A Beevor about his book on Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944)

Edited by TGM

• 4 weeks later...

Spotted in latest issue of The Lancet

Pandemic Influenza: 100 years

we have highlighted some of our landmark papers in a historical timeline below, plus we have also made our most highly cited articles FREE to access until Aug 31, 2018.

Also in same issue:

Spanish influenza redux: revisiting the mother of all pandemics

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31360-6

spa flu.PNG

Edited by TGM

I would also suggest taking a look at the Chief Medical Officers reports in your local archives to see what happened in your particular area. These can be quite illuminating not only as to numbers but also how it spread within an area. 

TR

43 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

I would also suggest taking a look at the Chief Medical Officers reports in your local archives to see what happened in your particular area. These can be quite illuminating not only as to numbers but also how it spread within an area. 

TR

And for many areas of the UK, the local Medical Officer of Health reports are available for nowt having been digitised by the Wellcome Library

• 2 months later...

A few yrs ago I saw a documentary about that awful pandemic. It scared the hell out of me! My grandmother said all of her family survived because they were so far out in the countryside they had not contact with others & her parents made sure they did not. Whatever the truth they were extremely lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Also recently broadcast:

The Flu that killed 50 million (BBC Two Scotland)

It is 1918 and the end of WWI. Millions have died, and the world is exhausted by war. But soon a new horror is sweeping the world, a terrifying virus that will kill more than fifty million people - the Spanishflu. Using dramatic reconstruction and eyewitness testimony from doctors, soldiers, civilians and politicians, this one-off special brings to life the onslaught of the disease, the horrors of those who lived through it and the efforts of the pioneering scientists desperately looking for the cure.

Narrated by Christopher Eccleston, the film also asks whether, a century later, the lessons learnt in 1918 might help us fight a future global flu pandemic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Elizabeth my grandmother, died of Spanish Flu in 1919 in Co. Cavan, Ireland.

The RIC referring to Cavan, stated 'The disease carried of a great many and affected nearly every household'.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

• 1 year later...

I came across this today:

The Mask Slackers of 1918

As the influenza pandemic swept across the United States in 1918 and 1919, masks took a role in political and cultural wars.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/mask-protests-1918.html

• 4 months later...