Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Prussian Model 1873 Artillery sword Unit mark

sabre

My friend has just purchased a 1916 dated Model 1873 Artillery sword with the scabbard Unit marked  K.S. 147 does this stand for kaiserliche schutztruppe ?.

Edited by sabre

I have seen a couple of similar marked artillery swords over the years and initially wondered the same.  K.S. marking on some swords can indeed refer to Schutztruppen but it seems that this model of sword was not issued in South West Africa. Also the 1916 date would preclude this as the colony surrendered to South African forces in 1915.

It is though seen in pictures from the German Chinese colony of Tsingtao pre 1914. ........

Under the 1922 abbreviations it is for Cavalry school - Kavallerie Schule waffe Nr.147.  Examples commonly have the '1920' stamp on the reverse side of the crossguard.

Hope this helps.

Rolyboy.

Sabre ......Presume from your pics this marking not repeated on the sword?      Matching unit marks for these would normally appear both on the sword & scabbard. (Sometimes on the sword only.)  If only on scabbard, then this has been mis-matched at some point in its life. The original sword would most likely have been marked as  described earlier.

Again hope this helps.

Rolyboy.

I am quite unfamiliar with this type of Seitengewehr but under the 1909 regulations, then K is for "Kommando, Kanonen, Kuerassier, Kriegschule", and S is for "Shuetzen, Sanitaetas-Kompagnie, Schiessschule, Feldsignal-Abteilung". BUT, Bavarian regulations for 1872 have KS for "Kriegsschule"... 

My guess? Scabbard is older than the 1916-marked 'sword', and is Bavarian and marked for "Kriegsschule Waffe 147".

Happy - as always! - to be corrected!

Julian

As noted, the KS ones I have seen over the years ( 2 or 3) have all had the 1920 stamp,  so post war markings ie. 1922 regs. or maybe later.

As the sword is not matching it will remain something of an unknown, but nothing suggests the scabbard is any older, although of course it may be................ 

Sadly, they did not seem to '1920' the scabbards as well, which would have helped. I seem to think this pattern of sword remained in service into the 1930's ?

Rolyboy.

On 1/15/2018 at 19:46, rolyboy11 said:

As noted, the KS ones I have seen over the years ( 2 or 3) have all had the 1920 stamp,  so post war markings ie. 1922 regs. or maybe later.

Post WW1 marks are very distinctive. The usual format for the early Reichswehr was - if I remember correctly - along the lines of: company/eskadron/batterie number; back-slash; unit abbreviation; unit number; weapon number. So. e.g.," 2./A.R.1.4." would be "2.Batterie, Artillerie-Regiment  Nr.1, Waffe Nr. 4.

Again, off-hand, I am pretty certain there was a directive issued even before November 1918(!) that stipulated how the S.84/98 was to be the standard post-war "sidearm", and that was re-confirmed in the 1930's, I think. I can check if you need to know!

BUT, I don't have any of these artillery swords and I have no idea what else that scabbard might fit... Is it the regulation type for the M.1873?

Julian