Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lance CPL George Nisbet

Sjack91

Good evening,

In May I was visiting the grave of George Nisbet in Ramleh War Cemetery, Israel. He is from my local village of Uddingston, Lanarkshire. I have been trying to figure out Georges role during WW1 and wondered if anyone could add anything to the little I already know. The key questions I keep asking myself are; Did he serve all his time in the middle east? How did he die? When was he promoted?

What I know.

-Previous to enlisting he worked with the Caledonian Railway Company in Glasgow.

-Son of Alexander Nisbet, Resided at 31 Old Glasgow Road, Uddingston

-I think he may have enlisted 14/1/16 as that was when he signed his Will

-Service number S/9104

-He was with the 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

-I have a newspaper cutting from 8th of Jan 1918 which states he was with the 3rd Seaforth Highlanders

-Died 20th September 1918. Battle of Megiddo?

- He is remembered in Uddingston Old Parish Church, Ramleh and the Caledonian Railway memorial in Glasgow central station.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Stuart

IMG_7174.PNG

Edited by Sjack91

His war gratuity was £15 net, £19 gross. This was paid for 40 months qualifying service at the time of his death.

Craig

4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

His war gratuity was £15 net, £19 gross. This was paid for 40 months qualifying service at the time of his death.

Craig

Thanks Craig. That would mean around May 1915 he enlisted.

Stuart

2 minutes ago, Sjack91 said:

Thanks Craig. That would mean around May 1915 he enlisted.

Stuart

#9150 was allocated 26 June 1915 - by the war gratuity #9104 was allocated somewhere in the month from 21 May 1915

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

#9150 was allocated 26 June 1915 - by the war gratuity #9104 was allocated somewhere in the month from 21 May 1915

Craig

Excellent information Craig. Thank you.

• 4 months later...

The Seaforths were with the 19th Infantry Brigade in the 7th (Indian) Division at this time

The map & crop below show the position as at 12 midnight on the 19/20th September 1918

5b03cdf795139_MapMegiddo1920Sept1918.jpg.b7acc0d727ae64bed043c321a0973848.jpg

5b03ce1517e6d_MapMegiddo1920Sept1918crop.jpg.eb14007e5a2dd94907e58c480abfe4bf.jpg

Michael thank you very much for this. I was trying to share it to the forum dedicated to the Middle East but did not know how to. 

Any idea as to how long the battle would have lasted?

stuart

Edited by Sjack91

This is excellent Michael. Exactly what I was after. 

Looks like ha was possibly one of the 120 killed around 3pm on the day of the battle. Must have been horrendous conditions and I know to well from my visit there how much of an obstacle the cactus plants could be. A great natural form of defence for The Ottoman forces. 

I dont know how you do it but the information is invaluable. Thank you