Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German War Ships Captured in 1914

AlanD

Reading a file at Kew in October regarding some Mauser pistols that were taken from a German war ship that was captured in 1914.

I can find reference to German merchant ships that were seized in British harbors or waters in August 1914, but nothing about German fighting ships that were captured in 1914.

Does anyone have any details of German Navy fighting ships that were captured in 1914?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Hi AlanD

I need to have this confirmed, but I'm pretty sure the light cruiser SMS Magdeburg ran aground somewhere in the Black Sea area and the attempt to scuttle her failed. In turn she was "captured" by the Russian navy who were happy to let the Admiralty have any papers, charts etc. and anything else confiscated from her.

John

Knotty,

That was near Finland in the Baltic Sea (not Black Sea).

Jan

Hello!

Check the word "interniert" (interned) under "Verbleib" (whereabout):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Schiffe_der_Kaiserlichen_Marine

like the "Hilfskreuzer Berlin"

The page is only in german language

Edited by The Prussian

You may find your answer in the early commerce raiding operations in the waters of the South Atlantic, South Pacific and Indian seas. 

Such as the cruiser of the SMS Cap Trafalgar, an Armed Merchant Cruiser and the cruiser SMS Emden, both sunk in 1914.

In the case of the Cap Trafalgar, she met with a gunboat early on and weapons were transferred across to bolster the bigger ships armament. 

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

That was near Finland in the Baltic Sea (not Black Sea)

Hi Jan

Thanks for the correction, much appreciated.

John

Warship means naval vessel? I think the governor's yacht in the Bismarck archipelago qualifies as a warship. Captured in 1914.

A German auxiliary gunboat was captured on the African Lakes. 

The other little naval ships overseas were interned and scuttled. China, Africa, Tsingato stations, etc. 

7 hours ago, Felix C said:

Warship means naval vessel? I think the governor's yacht in the Bismarck archipelago qualifies as a warship. Captured in 1914.

A German auxiliary gunboat was captured on the African Lakes. 

The other little naval ships overseas were interned and scuttled. China, Africa, Tsingato stations, etc. 

Yes, by warship I do mean a German naval ship as opposed to a merchant ship which would be unlikely to have a quality of Mauser pistols on board.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

It could be the Mauser pistols were part of a merchant ships cargo when captured. I would also like to point out that firearms were carried on merchant ships back then so the crews could defend themselves. pirates were a problem of the coast of China back then.

• 2 years later...

A number of Auxiliary warships were captured in Kamerun in 1914,

Soden and  Hertzogin Elizabeth were both taken into the Royal Navy.

Also in the colony a number of German merchant ships were captured and handed over to UK shipping lines, it is possible that the officers on these ships had side-arms.