Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arm badges various

MaxD

On the attached pic, I am happy with the good conduct stripe and the three wound stripes but what are:

the small badge above the GC stripe and what looks like upside down IMG_20170608_115514_712.jpg.4ce6c4bdb9008d9a924874488dde54ea.jpgcorporals stripes on the lower right sleeve regiment not certain.

Edited by MaxD
addition

The thing above the Good Conduct badge looks like it could be a grenade: is it possible to see the whole picture? It might give some context.

No headdress so I have decapitated him.  General consensus is infantry, black button for a deceased brother.

Max

IMG_20170608_115514_712 (2).jpg

I am surmising that the gilded metal (Brass) grenade is an unofficial method of denoting a trained 'Bomber' as it is positioned in the same place a trained Lewis Gunner (LG) or (Vickers) Machine- Gunner(MG) would wear their SAA badge . I have a photo of a Notts and Derby Soldier wearing a GM grenade in exactly the same place which I will look out and post.

Best for 2018

Mark 

Edited by mark holden

I believe that Mark has made the correct interpretation.  A makeshift bombers badge utilising the universal gilding metal grenade.  This was also sometimes used by trench mortar men, albeit usually painted.

Max,

As promised a picture of Notts and Derby soldier wearing a gilded metal grenade above his marksman skill at arms badge.

Regards

Mark

IMG_7913.JPG

IMG_7914.JPG

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

I surmise that these grenades predate the official issue badge for upper right arm 1916

I think so Muerrisch.  As so, often the authorities playing catch-up with realities on the ground.  I especially recall the Liverpool Irish cresting their own bombers arm badge, complete with regimental horse on the ball.

Edited by FROGSMILE