Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Noel Chavasse

Guest Hill 60

Guest Hill 60

Anyone got an idea as to when Noel Chavasse's headstone was changed? It used to have one VC engraved on it and now has two and I was just curious as to when it happened.

Many thanks.

Guest Hill 60

I agree it should have had two right from the beginning. However, in the book 'Monuments to Courage' there is a photo of it with the 'normal' large size single VC.

The book 'Chavasse: Double VC' by Ann Clayton (excellent read) has the full story. Unfortunately my copy is currently in the hands of my mother-in-law who borrowed it after we visited Brandhoek with her recently on our way back from Bruges (another convert to the sacred band of battlefield visitors I am pleased to say. She hasn't stopped talking about Tyne Cot and the Menin Gate). I seem to recall that the change was made around 1962 after considerable discussion within the CWGC. My memory may be faulty and no doubt a 'Pal' with the book will be able to put me right.

28 April 1981 (last page of Ann Clayton's book). Incidentally the inscription "Greater love..............." chosen by his father.

The following is taken from Anne Clayton's book 'Chavasse Double VC' page 227-228.

"When the New Military Cemetery at Brandhoek was laid out by the Imperial War Graves Commission, Noel's headstone was inscribed with the representation of a single Victoria Cross. However, in 1959 the Commonwealth War Graves Commission received information from its Belgian office that a Distinguished Service Order should be credited to Captain Chavasse. When the headstone was replaced in 1975, the DSO was included, but the mistake was soon challenged by visitors to the grave. In 1979 the letters DSO were blotted out by a stone-filling technique, and a complete re-design of the stone was begun. A design with two small VC emblems was approved and was erected over the grave on 28 April, 1981. The inscription in the white stone, chosen by Noel's father, has always been the same: 'Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends'.."

Alan Seymour

Guest Hill 60

Alan, Mark & Greenwoodman - Thanks for the extra info, gratefully recieved.

Paul - re: Your e-mail, I've e-mailed you a reply, cheers.