Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tank or Armoured Vehicle ID

4thGordons

Can anyone identify this damaged vehicle/tank? The photo comes from a recent collection of German photos I was given.

I am not sure if it is a "Tank" or something else - there appears to be a driving wheel and springs on the left side of the picture of the type I would associate with a tracked vehicle) but I suppose it might be part of an armoured train? (there are perhaps hints of rails on the left side) I do not see any obvious armament although perhaps a MG would be mounted in the circular bulge?

Thanks in advance

Chris

tank.jpg.e8db8465c81782ce5f8a7501870fdb84.jpg

Awesome picture. The back wheel and springs look like a half track yet the front wheel looks like it runs on a rail. However, the lack of clearance at the rear and the slight wheel arch would indicate a normal tyre not a track. I'm no expert just making an observation! What's the thingy majig on the front sticking out at an angle?! Thanks for sharing

Dan

Crikey! That was quick. Yes - thank you very much. Excellent. I suppose that helps date the picture too after April of 1917.

Chris

13 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Awesome picture. The back wheel and springs look like a half track yet the front wheel looks like it runs on a rail. However, the lack of clearance at the rear and the slight wheel arch would indicate a normal tyre not a track. I'm no expert just making an observation! What's the thingy majig on the front sticking out at an angle?! Thanks for sharing

Dan

The thingy sticking out the front is to stop the nose digging when crossing trenches or other obstacles.

Ah OK thanks squirrel. Is a weird looking contraption more akin to a troop transporter than a tank. 

Dan

I would say that the ammunition it will have carried has exploded hence all the plate buckling and there is a cover blown off and propped up against it. The resulting fire has destroyed the tracks which may well have had part wood or rubber in their construction. You can imagine the chap posing was possibly the one responsible for stopping it and he may well have been using an anti-tank rifle by then.

David

20 hours ago, Bean tool said:

Ah OK thanks squirrel. Is a weird looking contraption more akin to a troop transporter than a tank. 

Dan

Nobody really knew what a tank was supposed to look like back then. It was really the little Renault FT that set the pattern for the future. 

Edited by MikB