Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patriotic Window Card

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Nice one Ian - I bought one of these about 25 years ago and have never seen another since... until now. I once showed it to a veteran who said people used to place them in their front windows so people could see they had someone at the front.

Hi Ian

I thought you mike likr this report from the Isle of Wight Count Press for1/5/1916.

"PATRIOTIC WINDOW CARDS".

The Hon. Mabel Cough Calthorpe, of Woodlands Vale, Ryde, has been instrumental in selling no less 3342 cards in the Isle of Wight to be exhibited in the windows of houses from which men are serving their King and Country. The profits realised from the sale amounting to £3 4s 2d. have been given to the funds of the 6th (Ryde) Sea Scout Troop. The numbers of cards sold in various parts of the island are as follow: Arreton 60, Ashey 12, Bembridge200, Binstead 62, Brading 100, Brighstone 50, Blackgang and Chale 70, Calbourne 50, Carisbrooke 150, Cowes 50, E Cowes 50, Freshwater 100, Godshill 30, Havenstreet 50, Haylands 70, Nettlestone36, Newchurch 100, Newport 200, Niton 50, Northwood 50, Ryde 537, Sandown 300, Shanklin 200, seaview 36, Shorwell 37, St Helens 112, Swanmore 30, Totland Bay 50, Ventnor 275, Whitwell 25, Wotton 50, Wroxall 100, and Yarnouth 50."

I will send you my PM later..........Gareth

• spof changed the title to Patriotic Window Card
  • spof unlocked this topic