Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to find out more after U.S draft

Martin.B

Hello i'm new here i'm searching for a person that emigrated from Sweden aboute 1913 and was presumed murdered when arrived in the U.S. Now i found a Draft registration card from 1917

WORLD WAR I CIVILIAN DRAFT REGISTRATIONS Twin Falls County, Idaho - 1917-1918
At the link below you can see his name carl bernard sandgren
http://files.usgwarchives.net/id/twinfalls/military/ww1/rutse.txt

Now i'm looking for help how to find out if he went on to participate in the war or not, or what happened next, education etc ect?

I live in Sweden so it's hard to get any records from the us on internet. (i think)

I'm greatful for any tips how to proceed.

Best regards Martin

Ancestry's search function is broken right now, but when it is repaired I will do some searching. 

You might want to look on findagrave for cemeteries in Twin Falls County, Idaho, and see if he died and was buried there.

The actual registration card adds little. Be careful there is another man with same name born 13/9/1887 that I originally confused him with.

Sorry edited post. As my post said there is another CBS born 13/9/1887, FUruon, Sweden according to his WW2 Draft Registration doc. age 54 living State Center, Marshall County, Iowa

Edited by Mark1959

OK, Ancestry is un broken, though there might be some bad news for you.

This Sandgren reports on his draft card that he is a native born American, and his death certificate for Dec. 8, 1956 states that he was born in Rockford, Il. in September of 1897. His parents are Magnus Sandgren and Selma Fatima Carlson, both born in Sweden. This Sandgren did not serve in the military and had Post-encephalitic Parkinsonism since 1920 or so.

I'll follow up on the other man Mark Found.

There's a 33-year-old Carl Sandgren checking into a Disabled Veterans hospital in South Dakota on Oct. 22, 1921, so DOB around 1888. Also says he was born in Sweden. This gentleman had a brother named John who lived in Big Stone, Minnesota. He (Carl) was discharged from the hospital on June 16, 1922, but re-admitted on June 4, 1935. Released again June 10, 1935.

This Carl had "1 Exposure in Service," which I assume means he was gassed. He has ulcers, constipation, and other nasty intestinal stuff that I can't really read.

Without knowing more about "your" Carl I'm not sure what else I can find.

Swedish Birth record for the 2nd CBS says born Byske,  Vasterbotten, Sweden. Parents Kark Joh. Sandgren and Lena Katarina Osterlund.

The South Dakota man  I believe is another man. Born Jul 1888. So possibilities building up. So more info definitely required.

• 9 months later...

It is now free since february to search in the Swedish ancestry arcives by law.

www.sok.riksarkivet.se

Just registrer your self on the site

On 26/12/2017 at 22:40, Mark1959 said:

Swedish Birth record for the 2nd CBS says born Byske,  Vasterbotten, Sweden. Parents Kark Joh. Sandgren and Lena Katarina Osterlund.

Hi  do you know anything more about this CBS from Byske? Best regards Martin/Sweden

Edited by Martin.B

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mark1959 do you have any more info on the CBS born in Byske because thats the man we are looking for we where told a styry that hewas murdered on his trip to america. /. Martin

No this is something i've read on a geneology site nobody knows for sure what happened to him. His two brothers we found but they never had any children. His parents is the right ones Katarina and Karl Johan

And he was born 13/9/1887 in Byske? Did he have a brother Nils?

Edited by Mark1959

OK. So we have his US Draft WW1 Registration Card which gives the same Dob as the Swedish records

He registered in Virginia, St Louis County, Minnesota. This is not far from the Western end of Lake Superior. Perhaps 50 miles (80 kilometres) North of Duluth,

The date appears to be 5th June 1917

A card does not mean that he served in WW1 merely that he had registered to be drafted.

The WW1 US army records were nearly all destroyed in a fire in St Louis. Missouri in the 1970s

We also have a WW2 Draft Registration Card for the same man, now aged 54. Same signature, same DoB  etc, Date in this case is 27/4/1942. Place of registration is State Center, Marshall County, Iowa. State Center is about 20 miles (30 km) N E of Des Moines.

Further proof they are the same man is that on each card it is shown he is missing part of a finger on his right hand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/12/2017 at 22:40, JOVE23 said:

There's a 33-year-old Carl Sandgren checking into a Disabled Veterans hospital in South Dakota on Oct. 22, 1921, so DOB around 1888. Also says he was born in Sweden. This gentleman had a brother named John who lived in Big Stone, Minnesota. He (Carl) was discharged from the hospital on June 16, 1922, but re-admitted on June 4, 1935. Released again June 10, 1935.

This Carl had "1 Exposure in Service," which I assume means he was gassed. He has ulcers, constipation, and other nasty intestinal stuff that I can't really read.

Without knowing more about "your" Carl I'm not sure what else I can find.

On 26/12/2017 at 22:16, JOVE23 said:

Ancestry's search function is broken right now, but when it is repaired I will do some searching. 

You might want to look on findagrave for cemeteries in Twin Falls County, Idaho, and see if he died and was buried there.

• 11 months later...