Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London location - help requested

delta

Grateful for assistance on confirming the name of the London bridge )image below) over which C Coy Tank Crewmen were marching in Aug 1916

Could one of the buildings be the City of London School?  

5-C Company officers and men marching to Waterloo railway station.jpg

Edited by delta

Yes- it is Waterloo Bridge- the buildings immediately behind and to the left (the northern end of the bridge) are those of the Duchy of Lancaster, which are still there .City of London School is by London Bridge in the City  (with war memorials-if you still wish to wander round the City sometime!!)

I always understood it to be the old Waterloo Bridge.  And i'd say comparison with Merchant Old Salt's photo is pretty conclusive.

Best, Paul

Definitely Waterloo Bridge, the men are marching south, the buildings left to right are Savoy Hotel, Institute of Electrical Engineers and Brettenham House.

I am surprised that they do not appear to have broken step, or was that required only for suspension bridges ?

Regards,

JMB

17 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

I am surprised that they do not appear to have broken step, or was that required only for suspension bridges ?

Regards,

JMB

One of the other main London bridges-either Chelsea or Albert (next to each other anyway) does still have a sign that troops must break step-It is an early suspension bridge.

GUEST,

That was exactly what prompted my question.

I have walked across both Albert & Chelsea bridges many times, and as a young lad had asked my father about it.

Interesting that the sign still stands.

Regards,

JMB

3 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Voltaire,

That was exactly what prompted my question.

I have walked across both Albert & Chelsea bridges many times, and as a young lad had asked my father about it.

Interesting that the sign still stands.

Regards,

JMB

Of course, the problem is accentuated in Chelsea, given the proximity of the Guards-who have a reputation for marching in step-which  exacerbates the problem.  We have also the new Millennium footbridge across the Thames directly south of St. Paul's,which swayed greatly even with normal walking-Apparently, once a bridge starts swaying, humans adjust their step anyway-which has the effect of making the problem worse-humans change to fit in with the sway,so it worsens the problem but makes individual walking easier.So the bridge had to be "de-engineered"-put in some less than perfect engineering quirks to squeak out the problem

One solution was tried recently- for the first time the Royal Navy mounted guard at Buckingham Palace. Although I grew up in a navy town, Plymouth, and my father's family were a navy family since before 1700, it pains me to say that no bridge would ever sway much if the lads of the Grey Funnel Line marched across- the navy just cannot do marching dill with any precision, so Albert and Chelsea Bridges would be competely safe.

Edited by Guest

The signs regarding troops breaking step are on the tollbooths at the northern side of Albert Bridge.

I regularly cross the bridge, if you are sitting in the queue of traffic heading north and your vehicle is close to the bridge joint with the embankment,  you can actually feel the bridge move slightly when a vehicle approaches from the other direction. 

Definitely one of London's prettier bridges. 

There is a small bridge in Regent's Park, near the Zoo, which is basically just a long flat slab with no parapets, over a fairly narrow piece of water. I was told that its strength was tested by marching a party of soldiers - probably Guards - across it without breaking step. It survived the test.

Ron

The root of the problems with suspension bridges is their natural frequencies.  All structures have natural frequencies at which they will vibrate with potentially large deflections if forced at these frequencies . For the large majority of structures their natural frequencies are beyond the frequencies that they are typically forced by (The main example of this outside suspension bridges is tall buildings in eathquakes).  If the natural frequency of the suspension bridge deck in the vertical plane  is around march step (1 step every second? I don't have much any experience of marching) then the soldiers will excite it and it will begin to move significantly more than normal, these deflections can result in overloading of the suspension wires and if they don't fail in the first instance the large motions will potentially cause significant fatigue damage (thats another post ) which will shorten the bridges working life.