Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15 November 1917 german attack on the

steve fuller

Hi Pals

The mummy site doesnt seem to cover this attack, so can anyone provide some detail please? Again, Im especially interested in the 7th Beds involvement if possible to get that level of detail?

I have read that it was 'repulsed with heavy losses' and that Colonel Carot commanding the 43rd (French) Regiment personally congratulated the 54th Brigade and “… in particular the Bedfordshire Regiment on their keeness and dashing manner in repelling the German attack.”

Thank you

Steve :D

This was when the Bedfords were in Houthulst Forest, north of Ypres.

It was a particularly bad place as it was boggy and the mud made it impossible for either side to fight an offensive war.

The front line consisted of a string of water filled shell holes, no trenches could be dug in the sodden ground.

On this particular night, due to a frost, the ground was slightly more stable and the Germans attacked a Lewis Gun Post and the French line to the left of the Bedfords.

Pte 20766 Marenga Bristow, managed to get his gun team out in the open and enfiladed the lines while they were stuck in the mud.

This resulted in them retreating and the attack ended.

Cheers.

Thank you John.

Can I ask where this came from please mate? And is it 'worth' (scuse the word) researching in any more detail, or was it purely a French action?

Cheers

Steve

Steve.

The basis of my reply came from a very underrated book (if you can get a copy)

The 54th Brigade in the Great War. Written by an unnamed officer it is full of information unobtainable elsewhere.

It was printed in the early 1920's for private circulation.

I personally do not think there is much scope for further research regarding this minor action.

Best wishes.

John.

Thank you John. Id love to get my grubby mits on a copy, so may have to have a browse around.

And thank you also for stopping me searching for more info on summat not 'worth' it!

Cheers

Steve