Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry German Casualy List

DaveC

Hi Everybody

Seeking information on Res Lt Walter Botticher  66 Infanteri Regiment KIA 03/09/1916 Any information Most Welcome.  Wishing You All a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.   Regards DaveC 

Hi Charlie

Many thanks for the extract from the Regimental History,   Would there be a photo of Lt. Bötticher, in the History?   Kindest Regards DaveC

Dave,

With the link in my last post the Regimental history can be viewed on line. There are no pictures at all in the history.

Charlie

Dave,

There is another Regimental history which should be more comprehensive and may contain a photo.

• Dr. Otto Korfes: "Das 3. Magdeburgische Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 66 im Weltkrieg" - Aus der Reihe "Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter - Truppenteile des ehemaligen preußischen Kontigents 302. Band", Berlin 1930, Verlag: Tradition Wilhelm Kolk, 458 Seiten.

He was an artist of some repute

http://kunstmuseum-hamburg.de/tag/walter-boetticher/

He was also lightly wounded in September 1914 as a Vizefeldwebel with I/IR135

Charlie

F2833355-0D60-48C1-8052-C28DD419E207.jpeg

1/4th, 1/5th. 1/6th  and 1/7th Battalion's Duke of Wellington (West Riding) Regiment, 1/4th and 1/5th Battalions suffered heavy casualties    Regards DaveC

Hello!

The book "Ehrenmal des preußischen Offizierkorps" (a casualty list of all prussian fallen or wounded officers) shows him as:

Lt.d.Res. Bötticher, became Lt.d.Res. in Inf.Rgt.135, fell in Inf.Rgt.66, Sept. 9, 1916 in Thiepval

Hi Ralph

Thats great many thanks for that   Also many thanks to the Prussian for tOfficer's Caualty listing for Res Leutenant Walter Botticher. Kindest Regards DaveC

27.08.1885 Hagen - 03.09.1916 an der Somme

Walter Bötticher, a painter and graphic artist from the circle of Karl Ernst Osthaus, who founded the Folkwang Museum in 1902 in Hagen, initially studied at the Kunstschule Weimar in 1906, then at the Lehr- and Versuchsatelier für angewandte und freie Kunst (Debschitz School) in Munich. He was later taught by Christian Rohlfs who had moved to Hagen in 1901. In 1907/08 the two shared a studio in Hetschburg near Weimar. In 1910 Bötticher moved to Berlin where he became acquainted with Emil Nolde and the artists’ association Die Brücke. In 1911 he returned to his native town again. His work was shown in solo or group exhibitions at the Museum Folkwang in 1911–15 and was also published in the magazines ‘Cicerone’, ‘Kunstchronik’, ‘Die Rheinlande’ and ‘Xenien’ from 1911 onwards. Osthaus praised the young artist: “He is one of the group which has Matisse in France and Nolde in Germany as their leader. [...] Whoever wants to see where our hopes for the future of art lie, will have to take note of this artist’s name.” In 1912 Bötticher was represented at the Sonderbund exhibition in Cologne that was primarily organised by Alfred Flechtheim and Osthaus. After Bötticher’s early death as a soldier in World War I, a commemorative exhibition first held in the museum in Hagen and later, in 1920, at the Galerie Alfred Flechtheim in Düsseldorf, focussed on the Expressionist painter’s œuvre.

Edited by DaveC

Hi Everybody

Didn't know if i should start a new topic, but i'm moving on to the next Casualty now Res Lt Haedrich 66th Infantry Regiment.       Any information most welcome.   Regards DaveC 

Just reaching out here in uncharted territory for me regarding WW1 German casualties. I met an expat German chap recently here in Bali. He mentioned he had family that served and were killed during the First War but needs to do more research to get full name etc before progressing. He asked if the listing or records of all German WW1 casualties were complete and searchable to the degree that CWGC records are, which I said i did not know, but would ask around. Would anyone on this thread be good enough to elaborate on this question? I thought it was a good question as he was told some German archives were destroyed in the bombings in WW2. Seems he had family in that conflict also.

Thanks

Ian

5 hours ago, gilly100 said:

elaborate on this question

A very Good question Ian.

From my own reading I understand that the Loss List is now complete and searchable. I have found 13 entries relating to members of my own family.

http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search?lang=en

for a what looks like a comprehensive answer to your question can be found on this link.

https://genealogy.stackexchange.com/questions/3915/finding-information-on-german-soldiers-from-world-war-i-and-world-war-ii

which contains this handy list

• t or  (“tot”) – dead
  • gefallen – killed in action
  • † an seinen schweren Wunden – died because of his serious injuries
  • v. or verw. (“verwundet”) – wounded
  • l.v. (“leicht verwundet”) – slightly wounded
  • s.v. or schw. verw. (“schwer verwundet”) – seriously wounded
  • l.v.b.d.Tr. (“leicht verwundet, bei der Truppe”) – slightly wounded, but with the troops
  • Gefgsch. (“Gefangenschaft”) – POW
  • G + (“Gefangenschaft †”) – died as POW
  • A.N. (“Auslands-Nachricht”) – message from abroad
  • vermißt – missing in action
  • bisher vermißt, verwundet – missing until now, wounded
  • † infolge Krankheit – died because of illness
  • Res. Feldlaz. ("Reserve Feldlazarett") – Reserve field hospital or aid station
  • zum 3. Male verwundet – wounded for the 3rd time
  • durch Unfall schwer verletzt – seriously injured because of an accident

Edited by Martin Feledziak

G + is normally gerichtlich tot erklärt (declared dead by court).

Thanks Martin, I shall pass on this info.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Martin, I shall pass on this info.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Andy

Many thanks for the info on Walter Haedrich  wishing you and everyone on the forum Merry Christmas.  Regards DaveC 

Edited by DaveC

• 4 months later...

Recent information that has come to light indicates there might have been some German (probably naval landing detachment) casualties sustained at Gallipoli quite early in the campaign on land, during and shortly after the Allied Landings on 25 April 1915, and prior to 30 April 1915. Are there any German naval researchers and historians that might have gone over any German Imperial Navy casualty roll (as mentioned in post #19 in the links) lists, believed to be in the Sutterlin(my poor spelling) script, that might assist in adding to this research? If the roll has name of casualty, ship name and possibly date of death, one might be able to confirm this line of enquiry.

Cheers

Ian