Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serre and Lukes Copse access

chaz

as the original topic has been locked and don't need to open arguments..

I was wondering if anyone knows who owns the other land around. Ive been looking on Google maps and there is a farm towards Pusieux , SCL Du Hameau,, and by the side you can 'travel' up Rue du Chateau d'Eau.

problem is the street  map shows a left turn along the Rue but the satellite map shows a lane but travelling along facility it does not show. this lane is the one that passes Lukes Copse and Sheffield memorial park from the normal end.

just wondering if there was a way to avoid potential trouble. has anyone tried parking at or near the farm to walk up to both memorials.

I have walked the lane you refer to, I was 'dropped off' by the  Manchesters (?) memorial and walked the route from there, past Luke Copse over Redan ridge to the sunken lane.

You are correct in saying it is the same lane as the one past, you know whos farm, and is in good state of repair. I believe the whole of the land between Luke Copse and the Serre road is owned by the same farmer, but cannot confirm which farmer, someone else may be able to answer that one.

Parking at the Pusieux end would be on a narrow tarmacked lane, so choose your parking place with care. It is only a 5 minute walk then to Luke, and another 3 or 4 minutes to the memorial park. If you choose that option, look towards the farm orchard as you pass, you can still see signs of trenches and shell holes.

T

thanks for that,  was thinking  maybe CWGC could ask the farmer with the larger farm next to Rue Du Chateau if there was a possibility of parking space...

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure I see the point of this possible alternative parking/access location as, other than Luke Copse Cemetery, you're not saving yourself much walking distance to Sheffield Park.......even if the relevant farmer were to permit or make available parking space.

Without that alternative and frankly unlikely facility, the narrow Rue Du Chateau lane cannot accommodate parking. At best, you'd be causing another car to severely slow down to squeeze by - and almost certainly be causing a blockage to anything wider such as a tractor or combine.

I appreciate that the walking distance (from either direction) is an issue for those with significant mobility problems.........as it must be in accessing many other less controversial CWGC cemeteries (e.g. Grandcourt Road or Gordon Dump cemeteries). I'm not yet in that mobility-challenged group, but will be willing to accept that access to certain locations will not be possible when my time comes.

David

• 2 weeks later...

David, there is a reason for the question. its not saving time or distance and don't want to re open the locked threads, just a question to avoid confrontation.