Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Harry Robert Victor Pleasance, Middlesex Regiment

Hookleg

Hi, looking for any relevant military info about H R V Pleasance. 23rd Bn. Middlesex Regt. Reg No. G/18695. Died 5 Nov 1918.  Buried at Marcinelle New Communal Cemetery, Belgium.

I know something of his early life and family but nothing about his Army service or any action which the 23rds may have been involved in towards the end of WW1 which may have led to his death.

I don't want to be pushy or ungrateful, but my post about the two Tostock soldiers (Everitt and Hazelwood) from 8th Bn., East Surrey Regt has had over 40 views, but no replies and is currently down to page 4 and possibly getting lost!!  (In case anyone who could help has missed it). Thanks

The war gratuity shows he had 39 months qualifying service at the time of his death - indicative of an enlistment in the month from 6 Aug Sep 1915.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252
date corrected

Many thanks Craig, that is a very helpful piece of information. He would have joined up just after his 18th birthday and with a Regiment from the area in which he was born and not in the area in which he was brought up.

26 minutes ago, Hookleg said:

Many thanks Craig, that is a very helpful piece of information. He would have joined up just after his 18th birthday and with a Regiment from the area in which he was born and not in the area in which he was brought up.

Apologies - it should be the month from 6 Aug 15 not 6 Sep (I counted the months wrong)

Now that we know the war gratuity indicates Sept then we can look at other numbers surrounding the one we know to at enlistment further.

#18621 Middlesex was allocated 23 Oct 1915, and #18642 on 30 Oct 15, which is out of sync for when you expect #18695 to have been allocated  if it was his first service number (he enlisted in the month from 6 Aug 1915, based on the war gratuity paid out). The war gratuity would indicate he had service under a different number prior to being #18695.

Craig

Thanks, I wonder if he may have enlisted at Bury St Edmunds in to one of the Suffolk Regiments? He was living only 6 miles away from their barracks (Gibraltar barracks). Unfortunately they are only open on Wednesdays so I may give them a telephone call next week to see if that was the case.

2 minutes ago, Hookleg said:

Thanks, I wonder if he may have enlisted at Bury St Edmunds in to one of the Suffolk Regiments? He was living only 6 miles away from their barracks (Gibraltar barracks). Unfortunately they are only open on Wednesdays so I may give them a telephone call next week to see if that was the case.

It was certainly far from unusual for men to enlist, be discharged on medical grounds etc and then re-enlist almost straight away. That sort of quick break wouldn't reduce the gratuity so it's certainly possible. At the moment that would seem more likely than him having been transferred.

Craig

Medal Roll show with 20th before 23rd Mx. 

SDGW says born at St Luke’s Mx, resided Stepney. Enlisted Finsbury Barracks,  Says DoW. Whereas Effects say Death Presumed 13/10/18.

Birth reg 2Q 1897 Holborn.

Baptised in 1897 in Tostock.

Records under Henry RVP. 

PS re your comment re your other thread. Sometimes it is not worth replying when a member of the GWF has nothing useful to say. 

Edited by Mark1959