Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books for Dissertation

Spraggs84

3 hours ago, Spraggs84 said:

thank you for the help, i appreciate it.

my university library has useful information, but sometimes the university has not purchased access to certain journals and resources, which can be frustrating, the stuff i could potentially get on interlibrary loans are often not available due to the age of the resources i require.

Thanks for your help 

Good luck- You seem to have a grip on how to approach sources. We believe you may be based in Chelmsford, so that throws up a couple of interesting possibilities. Of course, IWM and BL are within striking distance-though BL will not have the electronic journals you want if it holds the paper volumes as well. (Have a look at the LSE library website-you can search to see if it holds anything  in the way of journals,etc-entrance is pretty liberal). You are also within range of Wellcome- which also has much now online.

If you are indeed in Chelmsford, then the outstanding potential source that you must contact is the British Limbless Ex-Servicemen's Association  based in High Road, Chadwell Heath-in my neck of the woods. I have no idea of what archives or printed primary materials it may hold, nor what it's attitude is to researchers- I cannot find an archives listing for it and,locally, it keeps a very low profile- but,on the other hand, it is the premier organisation for ex-service amputees. It was only founded in 1932- but it has kept a very low profile during the centennial years. Of course, it is not at the end of warfare that is keen on glorifying war. It adds great distinction to the area in which I live.

And, of course, it is just down the railway line from you- yes, the same railway line-Chelmsford to Chadwell Heath. BLESMA is about a 10 minute walk from Chadwell Heath station 

Edited by Guest

This is a bit off topic but may be interesting to look at.  My Great Great Grandfather could kindly be called an entrepreneur and perhaps more truthfully a fraudster, though the various court cases he went through never actually defined him as that!  having shown no interest in medical technology previously (he had worked in insurance, stocks and mining )  he took out a patent for improvement of artificial knee joints In 1919 ( British patent No. GB130262 evidently )  I have never looked into this in any detail but it led me wonder how much the disabled ex soldiers were preyed upon by unscrupulous business men who saw a chance of a quick buck from some desperate people especially as the response of the government was limited.

Both the Lancet and British Medical Journal, both during the war and immediately post-war, contain a great deal of debate and suggestions on the treatment of limbless soldiers.

1 hour ago, robertb said:

Both the Lancet and British Medical Journal, both during the war and immediately post-war, contain a great deal of debate and suggestions on the treatment of limbless soldiers.

And BMJ  is available on JSTOR -which should be available in any college- Makes it searchable and downloadable as well.

• 3 weeks later...

And BMJ  is available on JSTOR -which should be available in any college- Makes it searchable and downloadable as well.

The BMJ website is searchable and articles can be downloaded subject to some pay walls/subscription limits, but JSTOR is preferable as indicated above.

Alternatively, most public library users should be able access similar content and effective search options using Access to Research (available in libraries only)

You can also pick up BMJ articles for free here although in the interests of filtering out irrelevancies it's as well to add BMJ and the year to your search terms:

https://europepmc.org

• 2 years later...
  • Admin
9 hours ago, MollyForsyth said:

You are doing well to use scientific literature and no additional help because I know people who have found other people for this work or contacted certain services. I've never understood people who ask for help writing essays. This is your own work, which you must work through from beginning to end, these are your thoughts and feelings. When someone else does it for you, the essence of the task itself is lost

Welcome to the forum, I imagine the dissertation was completed long ago as Michael last visited the forum in February 2018.  Unfortunately we had no feedback on the results of his efforts.