Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buried in the UK/Ireland

markinbelfast

Researching 2 Belfast men that died closer to home...any idea why these men wouldn't have been returned closer to home (ones only 100 miles from home)

man1

man2

or is it a case of where you die you get buried?

cheers

mark

Mark

The relatives of a casualty who died in the UK had the right to select the place of burial and whether to have a private or an official headstone.

The snag was that the relatives had to pay the cost of transferring the body to their chosen burial ground. Whilst this cost was sometimes met by colleagues or the regiment, it was usually down to the n-o-k - and many simply could not afford it.

Therefore, many men were buried where they died because of their loved ones' inability to pay the transport costs - although I expect that, on a few occasions, the relatives saw no need to return them home.

Also, if no relatives could be traced, they would have been buried where they died.

Mark,

Did you know that your second man, L/C N. Morton, was killed in the 1916 Rising in Dublin? His name appears in the list of casualties in the "Weekly Irish Times" Handbook for the events of that week.

Michael Pegum

P.S.

Would you like me to get a photo of his (Nathaniel Morton's) grave (see pevious thread) or have you arrenged to get it yourself?

Michael

A photo of the grave would be great!...I knew the Dublin connection as he appeared in the local newspaper with the killed in Dublin caption.Any idea where and at what time on the day...would love to find the circumstances....

btw his house still stands!

my grandfather was an old contemptible.

I live 5 mins walk from grangegorman cemetary, I will call by and visit his grave.

Its a beautiful quiet place.