Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Lieut Leslie Shaw

Auimfo

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about the service of 2nd Lt Leslie Raymond Shaw, 62 Squadron.  I know he originally served with the NZ Engineers from the beginning of the war but was discharged as underage and then joined the RAF in May 1918 where he trained as a pilot.  He was commissioned in October 1918 and served with 62 Squadron but was too late to see any action.

I would be particularly happy if someone could find a photo of him.

Cheers,

Tim L. 

Thanks for that.   He was actually born on 17 January 1901 and was 13 years old when he enlisted in England with the NZ Forces (he was born in NZ).  When he became a 2nd Lt in the RAF, he was still only 17 years of age.

I'm still fingers crossed for a photo.  I have ones of him in later life but am hoping for one during the war.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Tim,

From my own notes on Shaw:

Shaw, Leslie Raymond (‘Ginger’) – born Napier 17 Jan 1901 but somehow managed to enlist in 1915! Served NZEF (see Archives NZ's Archway), RAF WWI (AIR79 and very confused looking AIR76) and rejoined RAF on short service comm from 15 Sep 1923 (but clearly did not complete same), flew and crashed in Papua New Guinea 1927-1928, sent to Australia after crash (see James Sinclair’s Wings of Gold – How the aeroplane developed New Guinea – described as having ‘had a reputation of being a daring flier’) See also Evening Post of 10 Oct 29 under ‘Great Flights’ – ambitious plan to fly to England via Japan and round the world with Aussie ‘Flight Lieutenant E[dgar]. A[llan]. Gornall’ (AFC/RFC/RAF in 1918), all of which would seem to have come to naught.

There's a photo of him on Ancestry.com – described there as ‘Youngest Anzac’. Looks also to have served with the RAAF in WWII, there being records for him 1939-1948 at NAA.

Errol