Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Year of War - Frank's Diary 1917-18

Caroline Booth

My grandfather kept a diary from December 8th, 1917 until the end of the war.  HIs first entry was written in Marseilles, en route for Salonika.  He was with the Manchester Regiment.  He wrote in the diary every day until the end of the war.   My nephew and I have created a blog - with the diary content and our research around his entries.  It will be updated each day -  exactly 100 years to the day since he wrote the entry.  

There are some things we cannot decipher or cannot find anything more about.  These queries are highlighted in the entries - starting with the very first entry on December 8th 1917.  All help gratefully received!  The site is called A Year of War.  Here is the link: http://ayearofwar.com

Version 2.jpg

Edited by Caroline Booth
correcting link to website

That's wonderful Caroline.

Have you thought about getting it into print?

I thought for a minute that I was re-reading an old post here, but I'm not.

You see, another forum member- Brian Clacy , helped a family publish their ancestor ( also called Frank!)'s day by day diary last year.

I think that had initially been published on the web as a blog, but it was eventually published in print as "Frank's War in a Thornycroft"-ISBN 9781537429304

Your link to the site is circling round to this forum thread, Caroline - any chance of editing it to redirect to the blog? (which I would very much like to read!)

seaJane

Caroline,

have you contacted the Manchester Regiment Forum?

I think many of their members would love to read the diary

3 hours ago, seaJane said:

Your link to the site is circling round to this forum thread, Caroline - any chance of editing it to redirect to the blog? (which I would very much like to read!)

seaJane

Think this link should work!

http://ayearofwar.com/

Edited by pagius

It does! Thank you.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.  I have corrected the link in my post - thanks to Pagius and everyone!

Edited by Caroline Booth
update

Only just had chance to sneak a look at Franks Diary. It's fascinating, I really hope you get in touch with Mcrs Forum ( if someone on hear hasn't already!) as Im certain there would be great interest

Well done on a fine achievement.

Simon

Hi

Thanks so much for all your encouragement and suggestions.  I have been in touch with the Manchesters.org and they have been fantastically helpful and informative.

Every day from now on,  we will be posting the diary entry that Frank wrote a hundred years ago to the day at http://ayearofwar.com. Articles will be added as and when.

I hope you enjoy it and look forward to working with you to plug the gaps.

Best regards

Caroline