Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Army Service Corps 2 Reserve Park

Marigold1

I am trying to find information to give some background on the military whereabouts of Reginald Henman (Driver T/260721, 2nd Reserve Park, Army Service Corps). He was killed in action, aged 19, on 29th January 1918 near Brandhoek, while taking food up to the front line trenches and had been on active service for 4 months.

Reginald's service number seems to indicate involvement with horse transport.

1. Where was the 2nd Reserve Park? In France? or Belgium?

2. According to The Long, Long Trail ASC Company 30 was the Company operating at 2nd Reserve Park. Would there have been any war diary for Company 30? I have not had any success so far in finding anything in the National Archives catalogue.

Any help, ideas, clues would be greatly appreciated.

Marigold

Hello Marigold

There are two War Diaries covering  this company's activities, reflecting the renaming of this type of unit. They can be downloaded from www.nationalarchives.co.uk for about £3.50 each, but I don't think that they are available on Ancestry yet. Here are the references:

WO 95/138 2 Reserve Park (30 Company A.S.C.) 1914 Aug. - 1918 Apr.  
WO 95/132 7 Auxiliary (Horse) Company (30 Company A.S.C.) 1918 May - 1919 Apr.  
Each of these files covers more than one company so you will need to add a suffix /1, /2 etc to get the right one. The website should tell you which suffix to use.

War Diaries rarely mention individuals by name other than officers, but numbers of casualties each day are nearly always given, and the location of the unit, with a short description of its activities, is given on each day.

Ron

just found this too

Reference: WO 95/138/5
Description: Reserve Mechanical Transport Company. 1 Reserve Park (9 Company A.S.C.). 2 Reserve Park (30 Company A.S.C.). 3 Reserve Park (34 Company A.S.C.). 4 Reserve Park (20 Company A.S.C.)
Note: The pages in this item are part of a larger record (piece). The record has been split into smaller parts during the digitisation process.
Date: 1917 Jan - 1918 Apr

scroll down on 

www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/army-service-corps-horse-transport-companies

30 Pre-war. Served as 2 Reserve Park, GHQ Troops in France.

Edited by jonbem

Marigold,

The war diary states: '29.1.18 No T/360721 Dvr Henman R killed in action, one HD [heavy draught?] horse killed and two wounded at Bellvue near Wieltje'

I presume he was killed there but his body was carried back to Brandhoek for burial.  The company were based at Poperinghe.

Apologies if I'm too late and you've already downloaded the diary.

Kind regards

Colin

1 hour ago, Colin W Taylor said:

HD [heavy draught?]

Yes. Reserve Parks had these, so that their two-horsed wagons could carry heavier loads. They were usually Shires, Clydesdales and the like.

Ron

Ron,

Many thanks; that was an semi-educated guess on my behalf.

Regards

Colin 

• 1 year later...
On 08/12/2017 at 18:50, Marigold1 said:

I am trying to find information to give some background on the military whereabouts of Reginald Henman (Driver T/260721, 2nd Reserve Park, Army Service Corps). He was killed in action, aged 19, on 29th January 1918 near Brandhoek, while taking food up to the front line trenches and had been on active service for 4 months.

Reginald's service number seems to indicate involvement with horse transport.

1. Where was the 2nd Reserve Park? In France? or Belgium?

2. According to The Long, Long Trail ASC Company 30 was the Company operating at 2nd Reserve Park. Would there have been any war diary for Company 30? I have not had any success so far in finding anything in the National Archives catalogue.

Any help, ideas, clues would be greatly appreciated.

Marigold

Hello.

I think that Reginald Henman could have been my Nana`s brother. My nana was called Ethel and I remember meeting her two older brothers Arthur and George when I was about 10 years old. ( Iam now 59 )

Welcome.  His Soldiers' Effects Register entry says his mother was Ruth - his CWGC entry says his parents were Philip and Ruth of Loughborough - Glebe Street in the Leics and Rutland Soldier's died.   In 1901 sister Ethel is with him and the family so that looks as if it adds up.

Max

• 4 years later...
On 20/10/2019 at 19:41, Guest said:

Hello.

I think that Reginald Henman could have been my Nana`s brother. My nana was called Ethel and I remember meeting her two older brothers Arthur and George when I was about 10 years old. ( Iam now 59 )

Reginald is in my family tree and I will be visiting his grave next year. Thanks. Steven Henman