Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

johnshep

Forum members may be interested to know that a book titled Dorset Brothers at War, Three Blandford Yeomen 1914 - 18 by Jessica Christian has recently been published.  The cost is £16.99 from all good bookshops.  I am only in the early stages of reading the book and it would be premature to write a review, so I will reproduce the summary on the cover.  This reads:

'This book tells of the wartime experiences of Bertram, Stanley and Roy George, based on their hitherto largely unpublished writings.  Volunteers with the Queen's Own Dorset Yeomanry, they were posted successively to Norfolk, Egypt and then Gallipoli.  Stanley subsequently joined the Imperial Camel Corps and served in the Nile Valley, the Western Desert and Palestine, while Bertram - the eldest and only survivor - became an officer in the Royal Garrison Artillery and moved to the Western Front, straight into the mud of Passchendaele.

For much of 1915 Stanley kept a diary, unusual among contemporary accounts for its comprehensive coverage of their time in Norfolk - in training while waiting for an expected invasion - and their voyage to Egypt with the horses.  It continues through their first few months in Egypt and their move to Gallipoli, ending with the heroic but disastrous assault on Scimitar Hill on 21 August and its aftermath.  The brothers' letters home contrast with the diary's vivid vignettes in their often expansive descriptions of widely differing theatres of war.  Their writings are illustrated as far as possible with their own photographs, and set in context for readers unfamiliar with the geographical or historical background to each campaign.'

John

Can you tell me whereabouts in Norfolk Stanley was based please?

Thank you

Andrew

• 5 months later...

I came to this book rather late, and because of the vagaries of the Berks Yeomanry museum website was unable to answer a question the editor posed.  Stanley George's diary entries are thoughtful, descriptive and enlightening as to his and the regiment's day to day routine and what was going on around him, more especially so in Alexandria and Cairo. The linking passages by Jessica Christian are spot on. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in the  yeomanry experience in the middle east

Andrew

• 3 years later...