Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps Insignia

RMAMarshall

Does anyone out there have any information regarding the use of coloured flashes on jacket shoulder straps to identify different tank corps battalions? I have recently picked up a jacket on ebay to a major that sports a green / white / green combination (the 1922 army list states that in 1918 he commanded both the 8th and 26th Bn for a while), and have seen another for sale in Regimentals catalogue with red / yellow. Wondering if there are any reference works, or if some kind person could set out the system. When were they introduced; presumably they were officially recognised and not done on a unit by unit basis?

Seasons greetings,

Richard Marshall

Hello,

I can only suggest that you consult the Royal Armoured Corps museum. They may be found via google. A recent visit indicated they are very knowledgeable about RTC matters.

Regards

Old Tom

Tom,

Thanks, will give them a try and post what I find out.

Richard

Richard,

Green/white/green indicates the 26th Battalion. I've been racking my brain for the last couple of days, trying to remember which publication I had seen these listed in, and it's just come back to me. They're to be found in 'Tank and AFV Crew Uniforms Since 1916' by Martin Windrow. When I get a few minutes, I'll list the rest.

Regards

Gavin

'A' Coy, later 'A' Bn, later 1 Bn - red

'B' Coy, later 'A' Bn, later 2 Bn - yellow

'C' Coy, later 'A' Bn, later 3 Bn - green

'D' Coy, later 'A' Bn, later 4 Bn - blue (Light - dark from 1922)

'E' Coy, later 'A' Bn, later 5 Bn - red / light blue

'F' Coy, later 'A' Bn, later 6 Bn - red / yellow

'G' Bn, later 7 Bn - red / green

'H' Bn, later 8 Bn - red / dark blue

'I' Bn, later 9 Bn - red / brown

'J' Bn, later 10 Bn - red / white

'K' Bn, later 11 Bn - red / black

'L' Bn, later 12 Bn - red / purple

13 Bn - green / black

14 Bn - green / purple

15 Bn - green / yellow

16 Bn - black / yellow / black

17 Bn - green / white

18 Bn - green / dark blue

19 Bn - red / white / red

20 Bn - red / yellow / red

21 Bn - red / black / red

22 Bn - red / green / red

23 Bn - red / blue / red

24 Bn - green / yellow / green

25 Bn - green / black / green

26 Bn - green / white / green

Tank Carrier Coys - green / brown

Gun Carrier Coys - blue / white / blue

Central Workshops - purple

Advanced Workshops - purple / yellow / purple

Central Stores - purple / white

Tank Field Bn (Salvage Coy) - 4 rows of black / white checks

2 Salvage Coy - ditto, red white

Regards

Gavin

Gavin,

Thanks for the information, has confirmed what the army list said - in command of 26 Bn from October 28th 1918. Thought you might like to see a photo' of the tunic. Is the AFV uniforms book any good on overalls etc? Have been looking for a reference that covers the more unusual items of issue, but so far no luck.

Regards,

Richard

post-23-1104593435.jpg

Richard,

Nice tunic. It's interesting to see that the MGC badges were still being worn. The AFV Uniform book I consulted is quite thin, and covers all nations from 1916 to the 1970s, so it doesn't go into any specific subject in much depth. However, that aside, the WWI section is surprisingly good, and does provide a useful overview. Unfortunately the British section is only about four pages long.

Regards

Gavin

Pete,

The name is the best bit - is named in ink to D. H. Pratt and dated April 1917.

From the 1922 army list:

Pratt, D. H. (Capt. R. Ir. Regt.)

1914-9.-Empld. Tank Corps, including commd. 8 Bn. 26 Mar. 18 to 20 May 18 and 26 Bn. from 29 Oct. 18. France and Belgium 19 Dec. 14 to Sept. 15 and 21 Aug. 17 to Aug. 18. Despatches, Lond. Gaz., 22 Jun. 15 and 25 May 18. 1914-15 Star. British War Medal. Victory Medal. DSO MC

From: King's College London, Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives Survey of the Papers of Senior UK Defence Personnel, 1900-1975):

Joined 1 Royal Irish Regt 1911; World War I 1914-1918; Machine Gun Corps 1916-1917; transferred to Royal Tank Corps 1917; General Staff Officer Grade 2, Tactical School, Camberley 1918; Ireland 1919-1922; Staff College, Camberley 1923-1924; Staff Capt, Aldershot Command 1925-1926; General Staff Officer Grade 2, 42 Div (East Lancashire) 1926-1929; Director of Military Artillery, Royal Military College, Duntroon, Australia 1930-1932; 6 Bn, Royal Tank Corps, Cairo, Egypt 1933; General Staff Officer Grade 2, War Office 1934-1935; Commander, 2 Bn Royal Tank Corps 1936-1937; Assistant Director, Mechanization, War Office 1938-1939; World War II 1939-1945; commander, 1 Tank Bde, France 1939-1940; Dunkirk 1940; Maj Gen, Armoured Fighting Vehicles, Washington DC, USA 1940-1943; Director General, British Supply Mission, Washington DC, USA 1943; retired 1946

A mountain of research to be done - starting with the London Gazette, to find his citations. Sadly the above is all the Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives has on the man - his papers have not been traced according to their website (which is where the above came from).

If anyone has come across this man in their studies, please let me know.

Richard