Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'MEDAL RIBBONS'.

steve140968

<_< Could anybody please tell me what the ribbon colours of the ww1 victory/British war medal and the 1914/1915 star symbolise , thanks .

Steve.

I could be wrong, but I am not certain that they symbolise anything. The only thing I can think of, is the watered red, white, and blue being the colours of the flags of both France and the UK?

Certainly come WW2, medal ribbons had some significance in their colours, whether this was true as early as WW1 I can't say.

I posted a similar thread some time ago, about who decides what colour ribbon a medal will have, and I don't think we got a conclusive answer.

;) Cheers Matt .

Steve .

Steve

I may be able to help with the ribbon colours for WW1 British medals.

Star: Watered Red, White and Blue, to represent the colours of Britain, France and the "Low Countries"

BWM: Blue for the Rain, Black for Death, Brown for Mud

Victory: "Double" Rainbow, the rainbow representing the international symbol of peace

I'm sure I've read this somewhere, can't remember where though.

Mark

I'm sure I've read this somewhere, can't remember where though.

This has been niggling me on and off all day as I'm sure I've come across an explanation of the symbolism too but just cannot remember where. There's quite a lot of detail in the Medal Yearbook concerning ribbons used for the WWII campaign medals (believed to have been personally designed by George VI) but other than the Mercantile Marine Medal, already described by Les, there's nothing in any of the books I have.

Gary

This subject is rather a peculiar one. It appears to me that some ribbons had meaning and others were almost random in selection. (or so it appears)

I know nothing about WWI medals, but the Queens Sudan ribbon is yellow for the desert, a thin red line in the middle and black on the right representing the enemy.

The WWII Star represents the colors of the principle forces engaged. Dark blue for the RN, red for the army and light blue for the RAF.

I am certain that the ribbon colors are all selected to represent something, but I have never seen a complete explanation of all of them.

DrB

;)

And not forgetting the Mercantile Marine Medal - with a central white stripe -

The White Stripe Represented the "Steaming Lights" ;)

According to Dorling :~"it was stated the BWM Ribbon Colours had no particular meaning"

;) Thanks guys , what a selection of explanations , this one could run and run .

Steve .

The WW2 Defence Medal, had green for the Green and Pleasant Land, black stripes for the Blackout and Orange for the fire of Fire Bombs

Source - Medal Yearbook 2005. regards

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I am certain that the ribbon colors are all selected to represent something, but I have never seen a complete explanation of all of them.

1939/45 Star - Stripes of dark blue (Navy), red (Army) & light blue (RAF)

Atlantic Star - Watered blue, white & green (the ocean)

Aircrew Europe Star - Pale blue (sky), black edges (night flying) & yellow stripe either side (enemy searchlights)

Africa Star - Pale buff (sand) with the three colours of the services as the 39/45 Star

Pacific Star - Dark green (jungle), yellow (beaches) & the three colours of the services as the 39/45 Star

Burma Star - 3 equal bands of dark blue (UK forces), red (Commonwealth forces) and bright orange (the sun)

Italy Star - red, white and green (Italian national colours)

France & Germany Star - blue, white and red (UK, france & the Netherlands national colours)

;)

;) Thanks guys . what about the military medal and the distinguished conduct medal . Steve .