Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henencourt

suesalter1

I'm trying to track down where my great-uncle was fighting when he was wounded at Henencourt, Somme in April 1918 and hoping to visit next April. My great-uncle, George Cresswell Hodge, 9th Batt. Essex Regiment, survived the war, but spent 7 months in hospital in Scotland recovering from his wounds. 

I have the war diary, so know he was at Henencourt. His battalion sustained 3 German attacks on their trenches on the 5th April 1918 (which is when he was wounded) and withstood them all - brave lads! The nearest large town is Albert. Is there any battlefield companies in Albert who could take me out to the area so I can see the where he was. I know small companies in Ypres will do this type of trip for single visitors, i.e, without a car, but I'm not sure about the Somme region.

Thanks,

Sue,

Hello 

You could try asking Vic Piuk and wife, a fantastic guide. He's about 13 miles from Henancourt.

Their website is below

http://lesalouettes.net/

Cheers 

John

Thanks John. I saw his details on a listing for Somme tours. I'll check him out.

Sue.

Once went on a Leger trip with Vic Piuk as guide, blimey he really does know his stuff. 

Worth asking him and see if they can help create a trip with a personal experience for yourself etc

All the best

PS .......can I tag along ;P

John