Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Camelier

stevenbecker

I wonder if your knowage extends to the Canadian Army?

I am used to looking at the AIF Nominal roll to tell who came from where but I could find nothing about this soldier?

His name is Robert Lindsay and he came from Melville Canada. His father was a Captain (Capt H. Lindsay) in the Canadian Army and later Mayor of the town?

He appears to have enlisted in 1914? and went to France with the 45th Bn RCR. He was returned in 1916 and dischanged because of medical reasons.

He moved to Australia and relisted in Jan 1917 and embarked with the Camel Corps reinforcements.

He served in the 3rd Anzac Bn (1917/1918) and 11th LHR (Light Horse Regt) in 1918.

He died from dysentry in Palestine 14th Oct 1918 and buried in Hadre Cemetery.

Can anyone fill in the details of this soldier in the Canadian Army? Service number, unit in France and why or when he was discharged?

Thanks for any insight.

S.B

Hi Steve:

Sorry, I was going to add this to my last post. Your mention of the 45 Bn (RCR) had me wondering so, I checked Nicholson's 'Official History of the Canadian Army.' There wasn't a 45 Bn. The Royal Canadian Regiment was the 7th Infantry Brigade attached to the 3rd Canadian Division. The RCR was a pre 1914 infantry battalion. The top of R.C.R.Lindsay's attestation papers are very faint and I couldn't make out the unit he served with.

Garth

Steve, Garth: I had a look at 425030 Lindsay's attestation papers. The "RCR" is simply the abbreviation of his initials. Also the papers are copied, everything is in one handwriting.

45th Battalion mobilized out of Brandon, Manitoba. Lindsay likely went to England with the 45th, where it was absorbed by 11th Reserve Battalion for training, probably at Salisbury.

11th Reserve supplied reinforcements for 16th (Canadian Scottish), 27th (City of Winnipeg), and 43rd (Cameron Highlanders) Battalions in France. Service in any of these could have made him a casualty!

Garth's point of ordering his records from the National Archives is highly recommended. You will get a wealth of information and data, that I hope might confirm my thoughts above.

Peter

Hi Peter:

I'm glad you came up with an answer to the 45 Bn; it's been bothering me all day. If Lindsay enlisted in December 1914 in Saskatchewan, you'd think he would have joined 5th, 28th, or 46th battalions. Do you have any idea when the 45th was formed?

Nicholson only lists CEF battalions the SERVED on the Wester Front and Siberia/Northern Russia. It sounds like the 45th was included in the 5th Canadian Division that was being formed in England. Due to the loses on the Western Front, the 5th Div. idea was scrapped and the men were absorbed into existing battalions as replacements.

Thanks again Peter, I feel better about the phantom 45th now. :D

Garth

Great Guys,

You gave me a number of places to try. He sounds even more interesting then before.

In his personal file (Australian Army) there is a letter from his father which gives the service details of his son. He does say that his son was invalided from France and that he had embarked with the 45th Bn Royal Canadian Regt.

But other than that very little.

I could find no info on that Bn (but for the RCR 7th Bde) so I am glad you sorted that out.

Thanks again

S.B

Guys,

Can you explan how to get or look his service record as the Canadian site only shows up his Enlistment form.

The site is very confusing to me. And since I live in Australia its hard for me to visit Ottawa to see them.

Thanks

S.B

Steve, go here: http://www.archives.ca/02/0201060101_e.html

This describes how to order your man's service files.

I and many other Baker's Pals have ordered service files and found a wealth of information about each of our interests.

Garth, he enlisted in Melville, and his number matches to 45th Battalion, although the reference I have says 45th didn't get their block of numbers alloted until July 1915 ?!

Peter in muggy Vancouver

Hi Steve:

Peter's web link will take you straight to the heart of the Canadian Nation Archives beast. For about $20 to $25 (Australian) the staff will send you Robert Lindsay's service file. They are very friendly and are service oriented, which is unusual for a large bureaucratic institution.

Here's a couple of leads you may want to follow up:

1. Melville Saskatchewan is a small town and doesn't have a web site. If you want to see if Captain H. Lindsay was mayor of the town you can try the following e-mail addresses. They're for the Melville tourist office; I'm sure they'd be glad to help you in your research.

melvdo@spreda.sk.ca

or

siulong@spreda.sk.ca

2. On Robert Lindsay's attestation papers his father is listed as Captain H. Lindsay. At the turn of the last century many prominent citizens, across Canada, were part of the pre 1914 militia. It was the socially accepted practice of the times. If H. Lindsay was mayor of Melville he would probably have been a member of the local militia. You may want to check with the Canadian Nation Archives to see if they have any pre 1914 militia records.

Good luck in your hunt.

Garth