Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Toilets and Tea Rooms

Simon Bull

I am about to spend time on the Western Front following in my grandfather’s footsteps with my elderly parents.  Toilets and warm cafes or tea rooms take on great importance when one is travelling in cold weather with older folks.  Although I have been on the Western Front a lot over the years it is some time since I visited the Somme and I have not had the same need for such facilities when travelling on my own or with younger family members.

Any suggestions gratefully received for places where reasonably good toilets and places to get something to eat and drink in the day might be found in the area of:

(1)    Vimy Ridge;

(2)    Tilloy les Mofflaines (The Harp)

(3)    Roeux;

(4)    Thiepval;

(5)    Villers Bretonneux;

(6)    Puchevillers.

I will answer the easiest.  Vimy Ridge has a brand new visitor center, with an exhibition and toilets.  

Thiepval has a visitor center, with toilets and an excellent new museum attached.  There is an entrance fee to the museum.

No cafe or tea room at either.

Mandy

Nearest tea rooms to Thiepval is Avril's in Auchonvillers.  

13 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Nearest tea rooms to Thiepval is Avril's in Auchonvillers.  

Or Ulster tower (dependant on staffing/seasonal situation).

6 minutes ago, John_Hartley said:

Thiepval has vending machines

So has Vimy, to a fashion.

• Admin

For Tilloy  and Rouex, your best bet would be a cafe in Arras. 

Michelle 

There is (or at least used to be) a bar in Beuquesne not far from Puchevillers which I identified as a possible toilet stop a few years ago but never used. If you take the D23 north out of Puchevillers it is on the intersection of D23 and D31.

Neil

Ulster Tower has a tea room and good toilets and is next to Thiepval, there is also a great Tea Room at La Boisselle where you can also get great food.

Tony

And to repeat.

Anyone going to Verdun.

The Abris de Pélerin is closed and looks as though it will be closed for the indefinite future (as in it ia a derelict at the moment).

In the summer there was a trestle table selling sandwiches and soft drinks/coffee, but now there is nothing.

There is a café/light restaurant, in the Mémorial, but with no outside access. In other words, you have to pay to go into the museum to get to it, and it lies at the end of the tour.

Take sandwiches and a flask.

Toilets behind the Ossuaire.