Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Urgent help needed please!

tincie

I have recently become very interested in the unit with who my Great Uncle served.

I have just seen some medals for sale that I am interested in. It's just that I'm not sure what to pay for them. They are being auctioned and there is just 1 day left, hence the urgency of this message. I don't have a clue what they're worth.

Can anyone offer me any help or advice?

The first medal is the BRITISH WAR MEDAL MEDAL; the second medal is VICTORY MEDAL. The medals are in an excellent condition with no knocks. Additionally, there is the original medal box of issue (excellent condition) and the original issue envelope

Tincie

Tincie,

It depends which unit/Regiment it is that you're interested in. A pair to the RE/RA/ASC - no more than £20, but a line regiment - I'd be happy to pay anything from £25 - £40.

Your call.

Les.

Can we have a bit more information?

i.e who to, regt etc?

Ive recently paid £30 for a pair to the RE (it takes all sorts!) but like its said previosly would be happy to pay up to 40 for a pair to the right regiments....

ta,

marc

Thanks for the quick replies :D

These are a pair of 'FULL-SIZE' WW1 medals awarded to 42188 Pte. A.C. Whittaker. K.R.R.C.

Please will you talk to me like a child. I really am new to this and don't understand very many military terms.

A pair to the RE/RA/ASC - no more than £20, but a line regiment - I'd be happy to pay anything from £25 - £40.

Cheers

Tincie

Noticed these a couple of times because there to my great grandads regiment, i was tempted to bid on them myself at one point.

Expect they will go for £40 ish on ebay as to a 'fighting' regiment. I would suggest that you have a look on dealers websites as you may be able to pick a KRRC pair up for less than that.

Tincie,

Sorry 'bout that.. .got a carried away in the moment :P

RE - Royal Engineers

RA - Royal Artillery

ASC - Army Service Corps

Line Regiment - Any regiment who saw front line action.... Gloucestershire Reg, Somerset Light Infantry and in th is case..... King Royal Rifle Corps.

Les.

Just had a quick look at this auction.... currently £34.55 with 21 hours to go. They look in damn good condition - so £40-£45 would be good considering they've got the box & envelope (but that doesn't always make them worth more, just a little more collectable to others).

Good luck

Les.

for anyone interested..... Whittaker

Dont miss them for want of a Bid,Medal prices are subject to conjecture,what is worth £50 to one collector may be of little or no interest to another,if you have set your heart on them & can afford them{especially if you intend just to buy the One Pair as a representative of the KRRC},Then Go out guns Blazing ,it's only money & @ the end of the day it would be a shame to miss them for the sake of a £5.00 Bid.Their "Worth" far exceeds their "Value" in purely £~s~d: Terms! ;)

It isn't what they are worth to you, but what they are worth to the next highest bidder. You have to go one higher than them. You may need to bid several times to see if they are willing to go higher.

Make up your mind what is the maximum you are prepared to pay and bid no higher, the same as you would at any other auction.

One tip I can give, is when making your highest bid, ensure that you've added 1p to the amount.... i.e. current bid £34.55, your max bid £45.55 + 1p = 45.56. This is just in case the highest previous bidder used 45.55 as a bench mark.

The amount of times I've been out bid by 1p... gggrrrrrrr :angry:

Les

Look like a nice pair (Oh Matron)!

seriously though, I've bought a couple of items from "Washpool", he's a genuine guy.

I would expect to pay around the £45 - £50 mark for a good quality pair to a "line reg", some obviously command more "wedge" than others

Go For It!

Mark

£38 plus change.

Worth a punt, I'd have said.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Tincie,

It depends which unit/Regiment it is that you're interested in. A pair to the RE/RA/ASC - no more than £20, but a line regiment - I'd be happy to pay anything from £25 - £40.

Your call.

Les.

Most dealers are now knocking out non-casualty pairs to the RA/RE/ASC at £30, infantry pairs at £38 and others - what I would term desirable units/battalions at up to £50.

Well done to all those who had a go at predicting the final price before the close. The predictions were roughly in agreement and, in the event, very reliable. This non-collector is impressed!

Tom

For anyone still interested. There's another pair to the KRRC on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...6500309257&rd=1

Price currently at £30.60, (Reserve NOT met), little over an hour to go.

Don't look as nice as the previous pair though!

Wonder if Tincie has seen these!

Thanks to all for your help.

Just had look thanks Pte1643. Didn't win the last pair. But was told about where I could find other pairs for sale, so tanks again.

I will own a pair soon (I hope!), to make up for those belonging to my Great-Uncle that had to be sold following a house fire in the 60's which left the family homeless. (Ahh)