Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver Medal

Hambo

Hi

I found in my grandfather's possessions, when he died, a small silver medallion which has two crests on one side and an inscription on the other.

The inscription reads "Mrs Cunliffe Owen Jan 1915 "may God guard you"

I have acertained that Mr E Cunliffe Owen raised two battalions, the 23rd (1st Sportsman's) on the 25th of Setember 1914 and the 24th (2nd Sportman's) on the 20th of November 1914. The medallion has what appears to be a service number on it, 3299. I have checked SDGW and cannot find anyone with this number which means, I suppose, that the owner was a survivor.

Are these medallions common? and does anyone have access to the muster roll for these battalions and whould they know who it belonged to?

Many Thanks Hambo

I also have one of these, to an original Sportsman Bn man. Cunliffe-Owen, as you say, raised the battalions. As a New Year present his wife had a medallion sent out to every member of the two battalions; each one was engraved with their regimental number.

As such, I suspect they are not that uncommon, although there would have been nearly 2000 men in the units at this time (both Bns combined).

Putting 3299 and Royal Fusiliers as the search options for the MIC's online, five possibilities are thrown up but the man you want would appear to be W S Brown or Stanley W Brown looks like he has two MIC's but not sure which one is the correct name order.

MIC's for W S Brown (3299, 24th Royal Fusiliers) can be found Here

and for Stanley W Brown (SPTS/3299 Royal Fusiliers)Here

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Paul and Steve

Looks like Brown is the man and I'll order up the MIC's to solve the puzzle. My grandmother was a Brown which could well explain the connection, it

may well have been hers (she died in 1939, my granfather died in 1991)

Thanks, as always this forum comes up trumps

Hambo