Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheltenham and the Great War

Hambo

I have a copy of the roll of honour for Cheltenham and surrounding villages. Very comprehensive details of most of the men. Quite a lot of photos of them and most regiments represented

Hambo

Hambo,

Would be grateful if you could look for any details on Lt Lionel Barnett of the 6th battalion Yorkshire Regiment.

Info I have is that he was "accidently killed" in England on February 6th1917.

He is remembered on Bishops Cleve and Southam memorials.

Anything that you could add would be great.

Bob.

Hambo,

Nice to see that my book 'Leaving All that was Dear' has made the site. Keep a hold of your copy as I believe that the book is now fetching a pretty sum. It is out of print and will not be reprinted (500 copies are out there somewhere). Will leave you to answer Bob's query!

Joe

Joe: Let me compliment you on an excellent book. It is a great example of what a roll of honor should be and was an excellent value at the price at which it was published. Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Bob

Details as follows

Barnett Lionel K Lieutenant 6th Battalion (Alexandra, Princess of Wale's Own) Yorkshire Regiment

Died in England in an accident 6.2.17 aged 24

Mill House, Lower Alstone, Cheltenham

Son of Henry Frederick, a fishmonger, and Mrs Barnett of 8 Oriel Place Cheltenham

Before the war he worked for Thomas Plant, outfitters at 18 The Collonade Cheltenham and was a keen golfer and member of Cotswold Hills Golf Club which he frequently represented in competition.

He had served as a Sergeant in the 5th (Territorial) Battlaion of the Gloucestershire Regiment and was gazetted a 2nd Lieutenant in the 11th battalion the Yorkshire regiment in February 1915.

He had seen service in Egypt and France and died of wounds on the 6th of February 1917 as a result of the premature explosion of a bomb, thrown by a member of a class under his instruction at Prees Heath Camp, Whitchurch,Salop.

He left a widow, Mrs Mabel E. Barnett (nee Bailey sister of DW Bailey 1st Gloucestershire Regt. KIA 4.10.17)

He is buried in Cheltenham Borough Cemetery Section G No 7837

A golfing trophy The Barnett Memorial Cup is still competed for on the nearest Saturday to the anniversary of his death at Cotswold Golf Club

Hope this what you're after

Joe

Congratulations on the best book of it's type I've seen. I have no interest in it's value because I have absolutely no intention of ever parting with it

Hambo