Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish soldiers in the British Army

zijde26

Some days ago, I got (Christmas present) the following book (dutch language):

' Iers Niemandsland ', written by Marcel Stuivenga

It deals with the presence of Irish soldiers in the British Army.

Has anybody been reading this book ?

Regards,

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

Never heard of it. Can you translate any of the description/back cover blurb for us?

Des

To Des

Emails off-line will certainly be answered.

To Alison.

The book mainly deals with the first war period. The first chapter only gives a survey of the political situation in Ireland. Later on, the 'why' of the Irish monument in Messines becomes clear.

Gilbert Deraedt :(

There are a couple of great books out there that deal with Irishmen in the British Army. The best one out of the lot has to be "Theres a Devil in the Drum" which deals with an Irishman who worked his way up through the ranks. A really good book which I have read three times. Heartily recommended.

Another good one is "The IRish Regiments" by Harris. Give a good overview of all the Irish regiments from there formation with some excellant photos.

• 2 weeks later...
There are a couple of great books out there that deal with Irishmen in the British Army. The best one out of the lot has to be "Theres a Devil in the Drum" which deals with an Irishman who worked his way up through the ranks. A really good book which I have read three times. Heartily recommended.

Another good one is "The IRish Regiments" by Harris. Give a good overview of all the Irish regiments from there formation with some excellant photos.

The best book for the 16th Irish Division is certainly Terence Denman's "Ireland's unknown soldiers- history of the 16th Irish Division". It was published in 1991 or '92 by Irish Academic Press, and was the first divisional history on the 16th ever. Most later works refer to this book (if they are honest enough). Great research work and without a bias.

Erwin

' Iers Niemandsland ', written by Marcel Stuivenga

Hi Gilbert,

Have you got an ISBN number, publisher, date of publication, so that I can get my local dutch shop to get for me.

greetings from Hoogwoud,

Liam