Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Achiet-le-Grand & Logeast Wood

Terry Carter

hello all,

Over the past few years of visiting the Somme I have become good friends with a French guy who lives at Achiet-le-Grand, not far from Bapaume.

I have now got him interested in the Great War and he would like to find out what British or Commonwealth units (medical/artillery/rest camps etc) stayed in the area after March 1917, who saw service in the area during the March retreat of 1918 and also the big push starting in August 1918.

If anyone has any accounts and maps from diaries that they could be kind enough to pass onto me, I would be very gratefull.

Thanks

Terry

The 10th Battalion, Cheshire Regiment, where in the vicinity of Aichet Le Grand between Jan and March 1918, and were billeted in Aichet Le Grand on the 21 March 1918.

I have recently received copies of the 10th Cheshires War diary for my own research and have pracied the relevant extracts for the period of Jan 14th 1918 - Feb 28th 1918 ...

Jan 14th ..... to Favreuil Area in Divisional Reserve

Jan 26th ..... To Vaulx in Battn Reserve

Feb 2nd .......To Lagincourt entered Trenches (Repairing damage to Trenches following heavy Thaw !)

Feb 8th ..... Back to Favreuil (No. 11 camp) bathed at Bapaume !

Feb 10 - Feb 28th ..... To Aichet Le Grand for rest and training.

An interesting entry is the mention of a German air raid on Aichet le Grand on the 18th Feb 1918. Several bombs were dropped and one caused 4 casualties (wounds). However no further (air) raids were encountered from 19th - 28th Feb 1918 due to unfavourable conditions. !

Hope this helps

Busman

Terry

2/1st London Regiment (173 Brigade, 58th Division) were camped at Achiet Le Grand from 15 April 1917 to 12 May 1917 prior to their assault on the Hindenburg Line at Bullecourt 14 - 16 June 1917. The Battalion attended a funeral service on 1 July 1917 at Achiet Le Grand for 9 of their men. I have the relevant entries from the War Diary. Email me off forum if you would like a copy of the entries.

Hi Terry

The 1/K.S.L.I. were there on the 23rd March 1918 after being relieved from positions near Vraucourt. They moved on the next day.

Annette

Hi,

Perhaps a little bit out of his way, but nevertheless interesting is the Bucquoy/Rossignol Wood area near to Achiet le Petit.

Copse 125, written by Ernst Yunger (sp) is a detailed, if sometimes rambling account of his time in this area and does give some "first hand" description of the state of the area and activity from a German parspective. Mentions Bapaume.

From my own interest, this is where the 62nd Division held the Germans in late March 1918: varying parts of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment, The Durham Light Infantry and Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Good trench maps available on this forum, and bits and pieces of war diary also.

regards

doogal