Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Area

Ian C

In Ypres area again for a couple of days this week, have done most of the usual stuff, any suggestions for something a little out of the ordinary?

Regards

IanC

I cant say Ian, I've been around most of the places in and around Ypres, and end up going to the same places, but still enjoy.

Regards

Gerwyn

Hooglede German cemetery, nobody éver goes there, I think! But the municipality has a plan to move it up in the world (or at least they did two years ago)

Mind you : pictures of Menen and Hooglede were taken two years ago in the most glórious of autumns.

Present circumstances may be complétely and útterly and tótally different!  Still, they both are awesome places. Véry peaceful.

Hooglede.jpg

Thank you for posting the photos JWK, very moving, the only German cemetery I visited in the area was the one at Diksmuide.

Regards.

Gerwyn

Skinny dipping in the canal this time of year would probably pass as out of the ordinary.

Or odd.

Thanks for the replies, Hooglede will definitely get a visit on Friday.

That would be skinny drowning for me, not a good idea!!!!

Regards

IanC

A nice 2 hour circular walk from Kemmel tourist information centre, quite rural,at one point passing a vineyard and of course the French cemetery......some of it uphill!!!

The bluebells will be long gone though!

image.png

image.png

Lovely photos Ian, the first one in particular is so atmospheric in the mist. Thanks for posting them.

Pete.

Probably bit late in the day to try this sort of thing but I recently walked 59th (North Midland) Div attack on Dochy Farm on 26 Sept 17. Fascinating to see tactics used on a lesser known part of Battle of Polygon Wood. I also researched it myself. Fitted neatly with standard visits.

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2017 at 23:35, gilbo139 said:

The bluebells will be long gone though!

image.png

This is one cemetery that has definitely been improved by the centenary related (I assume) makeovers. Apart from its outstanding feature, its location, with its fine views to the west, it was run down, neglected - quite frankly verging on a disgrace - and that's going back to the late 60s when I first saw it. Congratulations to whoever has worked to transform it.