Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clasp & Roses medal

Lambton

I have seen the medal card of my great-uncle George Edward Henry Cockram, regimental number 7235,  coldsteam guards, 

I would like to understand the details listed about the clasp&roses medal.

I would have liked to insert the card image but ancestry.com will not give me access to it.

Doug Fox

The clasp & roses refer to; the clasp the soldier could have attached to the 1914 Star medal and the rose could have been attached to the 1914 Star ribbon.

Capture.JPG

Clasp to the 1914 Star

A bar clasp inscribed "5 Aug. to 22 Nov. 1914" was given to all those who qualified for the 1914 Star and who served under fire. Since the same ribbon is used with the 1914-15 Star, holders of the 1914 Star were permitted to wear a small silver rosette on their ribbon when the decoration itself is not worn. On the medal index cards this is usually noted as the "Clasp and Roses" or "C&R" .It was necessary to apply for the issue of the clasp.

http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html

Edited by wandererpaul

It refers to when issued,  you had to apply for them.  The bulk is just an administration note, the latter the date 

He was also a military medal winner and mentioned in despatches; rare for a ranker

Mm gazetted 27.10,16.  Mid 1.1,16. He was 3rd battalion 

Coldstreamer,

Thank you so much for your reply including information about my great-uncle being gazetted for the military medal and dispatches to boot.

I tried the London Gazette website but could not find the record to read more.

I have a picture postcard of him as a member of a Coldstream Guards rifle shooting team and their trophy and medals.

This has sparked my interest in my relative and want to learn more.

Doug Fox

Gazette won't tell you what the awards for , local papers are your best bet

If the london gazette cannot help me and I'm living in Canada what newspaper would be appropriate to seek information?

Surely, a war diary would mention the medal and dispatches.

What website would have them for me to read?

Sorry to be a bother, but I am fairly new at researching.

Doug Fox 

This is the link to the London Gazette notification of the Mention in Despatches, it relates to the despatch of Sir John French dated 15 October 1915

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29422/supplement/30

and the notification for the award of the Military Medal

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29805/supplement/10477

Thanks very much for showing me the gazette publication pages.

Now, is there a website which would give details of George Cockram's

actions which were worthy of being gazetted?

Doug Fox

Unlikely. There’s nothing in the newspaper archives, from what I have searched, re a military Medal to a G Cockram of Coldstream guards.

There’s a small chance the award is mentioned in the War diary of the 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards. That is probably downloadable from the National Archives or, if you have an Ancestry subscription, you can check online.

The Military Medal recommendations were lost or scrapped after WW1.

very small chance. 3rd btn not the best diarist!

citations believed lost due to luftwaffe bombing in ww2

my understanding is that the gazette on this occasion was back dated late awards for anything previous

Edited by Coldstreamer

As wandererpaul states in post #11, there is no mention of him in any newspaper reports available online except one seen which just reported the listing as in the London Gazette.

And as Coldstreamer states in post #12 the daily reports in the 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards war diary are very brief, and he does not get a mention.

This is the link to Sir John French's despatch mentioned in post #9  which will give you some information on where and what fighting was taking place during the time period covered by the despatch in which he was mentioned. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29347/supplement/10753

Harry Brook, Coldstreamer and Wandererpaul,

Each of you have have helped me understand a little better my relatives contribution to the great war.

Thank you very much.

The burnt records from the blitz must have contained all the service records of all my ancestors. Pity.

I know it is off the topic of this forum, but I am proud of other relatives who served in the

Peninsular & Napoleonic wars, War of 1812 in Canada, paternal grandfather in WW1 and father in WWII.

All were proficient with the rifle, artillery piece, heavy mortar as well as an axe in the case of the Canadian Forestry Corps.

Oh!  by the way another member of the family has come to light and I will have to create another topic concerning his participation

with WWI signals & engineers.

Thank you all so much, again.

Doug Fox