Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arnold RIDLEY of Dads Army fame

Guest Bill NEWMAN

Guest Bill NEWMAN

I understand that Arnold RIDLEY Pte Godfrey of Dads Army fame was a Somerset in WW1. I believe he came from Bath and was born around 1896. Does anyone have any further details of his Army service

Many thanks.

I was recently informed by my Father-in-law who has a Dad's Army book that he was wounded on the Somme in 1916 when a junior officer.

He was wounded on the Somme and invalided out in 1917, injuries to his arm left it nearly useless and a rifle butt to the head left him with blackouts through out his life. Sorry its all i could find but do a search on Google or something and it brings up plenty of sites to him.

Arm.

Bill,

Arnold Ridley was born in Bath 7 January 1896, son of William Robert and Rosa (nee Morrish) and educated at Clarendon School Bath, going on to Bristol University. He made his professional stage debut at the Theatre Royal Bristol in ‘Prunella’ in 1914, but needless to say, his curtain calls were soon abandoned at his country’s call. I’m sorry I don’t know his unit, but he was discharged medically unfit in 1917, and resumed his stage career with the Birmingham Rep from 1918-1920 (taking 40+ roles), then the Plymouth Rep until 1921, when he abandoned the stage for good, citing ill-health caused by war wounds, and embarked on his highly successful career as a playwright, beginning with ‘The Brass God’. However, he trod the boards once again in April 1927 at the Garrick in London as Saul Hodgkin in his best-known (and still popular) chiller ‘The Ghost Train’. Twenty years after his war service he was still listing his hobbies as cricket and rugby (I think I can guess his loyalties!), and all things considered, was far from the dithering old duffer he portrayed so well.

I would be very interested to know of your progress with ‘Pte Godfrey’s’ actual Great War service. The 1901 online census will give some basic family details, such as his family home etc.

Happy hunting!!

Now, may I be excused please..?

I understand he had a sister called Dolly, she was employed making cucumber sandwiches for the troops.

John

Kate

I recall reading somewhere that Arnold Ridley was a Centre Threequarter for Bath RFC before the War. I wonder if he ever played against Northampton?

Cheers

Dolphin

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Arnold Ridley was a Captain in the First World War, sustaining wounds during the Battle of the Somme. Ironically, in Dad's Army, Pte. Godfrey was awarded the Military Medal for gallantry during the Battle of the Somme.

When WWII broke out, he rejoined the Army, and was promoted to Major- but due to his WWI wounds (which led to blackouts), he was invalided out of the army upon his return from Dunkirk. He later joined ENSA.

I hope this helps.

Frank Bartholomew

Guest Bill NEWMAN

Thanks to all those who have responded. This is only the first time I have used the forum and I am very impressed

Many Thanks

John Laurie, the doom-mongering Private Frazer, also served. I remember an interview with him on the old 'Pebble Mill at One' programme in which the interviewer asked him what he recalled about his Great War service. He claimed to remember nothing-it was so horrible he had blanked it all out. Anybody happen to know which unit he was in?

Honourable Artillery Company. He was invalided out before the end of the war witha bronchial complaint. Before the war he had been an architects apprentice. He spent a little while as Serjeant-at-Arms at the Tower of London and took up acting in the 1920's.

Terry Reeves