Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Renting a house in ypres

trenchwalker

Four of us are looking at renting a house in Belgium from the uk . Has anyone from the uk made the leep and can anyone give me any recommendations around electrify water and council tax etc 

Long-term or holiday rental? I think it would make a difference. 

This site is intended for expats (and by heck that's a minefield on its own Belgium!) but it might give you some info

https://www.expatica.com/be/housing/Renting-a-property-in-Belgium_100076.html 

Holiday rental must be easier I would think and can be found from online searches. I was actually looking at holiday rentals in Ypres myself the other day and quite a few came up on a general search. 

We are looking at have a long term rental for holidays whilst in ypres

There are a lot of rules and regulations in Belgium, some national and some local. I think your best bet is to check out the possibilities with someone locally who works in the property business. A reputable 'Estate Agent' or rental agency. 

The website I mentioned above is mainly for those living in Belgium, even if only 12 months or so, but there may be some information or pointers on there. 

Or maybe someone on here has already done this (sounds like a grand idea!), or is permanently living in the area and can point you in the right direction. 

On 29/10/2017 at 15:52, trenchwalker said:

We are looking at have a long term rental for holidays whilst in ypres

hello, what is 'long term' for you ? A few weeks, I guess. So I think a 'gîte' would be the right thing (in UK it is often called 'self catering'). You don't have to bother about water, electricity ....

Here an example : https://www.gites.fr/gites_ypres_48010.html

Ah, yes. That type of rental should be straight forward. I thought they were looking to rent longer-term, to pop backwards and forwards as inclination took them (nice thought to have a home from home over there) and I think that option would definitely be more complicated. Or more red tape hoops to jump through!