Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Truce

Dan Morton

On another forum one of our members asked the following question:

"We all know of the famous 1914 truce between British and German troops and the famous soccer match. Did France and Germany or any other waring nations do the same thing?"

What's the answer?

:blink:

All the best,

Dan Morton

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Hi To You All, :)

Famous Football Match !

Tosh utter Tosh !

I do believe some of the Indians and the French were also involved, but it must have been a patchy affair; I can find no record of direct involvement by Holmfirth troops. One letter records singing on both sides, and another speaks of it being a time with not much firing going on. But certainly not anything more than that.

Try “Christmas Truce” by Malcolm Brown and Shirley Seaton. If your local library does not have a copy they can order one. ISBN 0 330 39065 1

Tony.

I have heard about truces between French and Germans in Christmas 1914, but I think the hatred between Poilu and Boche soldiers was just somehow deeper and more "traditional", so larger scale truces (like between Fritzies and Tommies) didn`t take place. And once again I use one of my favourite Great War- online sources The Great War in Different Light to provide you some visual treat... this from British the Graphic magazine 'the Graphic' January 1915 issue.

post-4-1104153495.jpg

According to the Yorkshire Post,no one knows how the games began.It was a kickabout- everybody was having a go.

Contrary to legend,there was not just one game of football but many.Some were British only,English against Scots or Welsh:London against the rest; Yorkshire against Lancashire.But many were documented between enemies.In Stanley Weintraube's book "Silent Night" published in 2001,the remarkeable truce and prominence of football is revealed.

One of the artefracts in the Sport, War and Peace Exhibition at the IWM,North is a German beer stein,or is it a krug presented by the Germans to A Company,the Lancashire Fusiliers who beat Bavarian opposition 3-2.

Gustav Riebensahn of the 2nd Westphalian Regiment wrote in his diary;"The English are so extraordinarily grateful for the ceasefire so they can play football again".

The truce was effectively over by dusk on Chrismas Day,General Staff on both sides feared fraternisation would become pacifism.

As for football together with boxing they became the two greatest factors in restoring and maintaining morale within the British Army.Footballs were in short supply in 1914 but by 1917,every platoon had its own football.

Amongst the "Bavarians" was the usual "Mr Baddie". A field messenger in the 16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment,who had been decorated by Kaiser Wilhelm himself on what he described as "the happiest day of my life",wrote after the war of a discussion among his peers about "crossing into no man's land and sharing Christmas with the British".He refused to participate.Such things should not happen in wartime.Have you Germans no sense of honour left at all?"

Regards

Frank East

Amongst the "Bavarians" was the usual "Mr Baddie". A field messenger in the 16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment,who had been decorated by Kaiser Wilhelm himself on what he described as "the happiest day of my life",wrote after the war of a discussion among his peers about "crossing into no man's land and sharing Christmas with the British".He refused to participate.Such things should not happen in wartime.Have you Germans no sense of honour left at all?"

Hitler?

There was a short armistice between the German and the Belgian army.

In one of these events, the Germans handed over a monstrans found in a ruined church to a Belgian chaplain. (I do not know the english word for a monstrans, let's say it is a religious object). I believe it is kept today in the Yser Tower museum in Diksmuide.

bert.

Bert is right. It was a monstrance (the gold or silver vessel in which the Holy Host is exposed on the altar or in the tabernacle). If I remember correctly it was pushed or pulled across the Yser, near the bridge, which was frozen, at Diksmuide (Dixmude).

I have no idea where the the item is now, though.

Aurel

There was also a truce between French and German troops at La Boisselle on the Somme; largely to bury the dead. It was on the instigation of a French Padre if I remember correctly. Given the depth of feeling among the average French soldier, I doubt if there was much fraternisation. Perhaps Ralph Whitehead has come across this in his research?

Guest SpoonerYork
:blink: There's a very good book available ( I got mine from Amazon ) called Christmas Truce by Malcolm Brown & Shirley Seaton, it's a great read and features a wealth of personal letters and accounts of the varius xmas day truces and tempory armistices along the western front.

• 2 months later...
It was a monstrance (the gold or silver vessel in which the Holy Host is exposed on the altar or in the tabernacle). If I remember correctly it was pushed or pulled across the Yser, near the bridge, which was frozen, at Diksmuide (Dixmude). I have no idea where the the item is now, though.

It is indeed in the Yser Tower in Diksmuide (somewhere behind this fog).

post-630-1111676724.jpg

The only 1914 truces on the Somme that I know of took place as follows:

21st December between Mametz and Montauban. This involved men of Reserve Infantry Regiment 40 and I have an eyewitness statement by the commander of 6th Company about it. This was to recover wounded from fierce fighting.

25th December up near Gommecourt. This was a relatively small-scale truce which lasted about one hour and involved chatting and exchanging tobacco. I have an eyewitness statement by a Grenadier of 2nd Company Garde Grenadier Regiment 1 which describes what happened.

Guest agracier

Hi,

On the Christmas Truce between French and German soldiers - for what it is worth, here is an illustration from 'the Graphic' which saws it shows one such truce.

On another aside on truces - it might be interesting to mention that on the Eastern Front it was not uncommon for Russian troops to observe an Easter Truce, at least during the first year of the war in 1915. I have read of Russian officers even sending Easter presents to opposing Austro-Hungarian officers.

agracier

post-6260-1111708394.jpg

Hi

So there goes the theory behind the video and song for Paul Mcartney's 'Pipes of Peace' then?

Damn, I knew it was too good to be true!!! ;)

Guest agracier

Hi,

On the Easter truce thing on the Eastern front that I mentioned, I located the magazine page where I read about it. It's from an Austrian illustrated news-magazine, 'Das Intressante Blatt' and shows Russian soldiers being allowed through Austrian lines somewhere in the Carpathians in 1915. They are bearing Easter gifts for their opponent Austrian officers.

It's not quite the same as a spontaneous truce between other ranks, but it does indicate that holding a truce was not that unusual an event.

Later in the war, such things were not done much anymore, or at least certainly not reported in the media. The Christmas truce of 1914 is now so well-known because the British media played it up very heavily - maybe as a way of showing how civilized and gentlemanly British soldiers really were, how they were ingrained to do the 'proper thing'. And the 'proper thing' at that time was to call off fighting during Christmas.

And if it happened in a few places on the Ypres front, one can be almost certain that it happened at many others as well along that long 450 km front. It just wasn't reported.

agracier

post-6260-1111874888.jpg