Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals

topdeer

I am now in need of help on this man Act Sergeant Frederick Hann 53144 Suffolk Regiment. He was awarded the War Medal & Victory Medal for serving in the Suffolk Regiment & Tank Corps. In the Tank Corps his rank was Warrant Officer Class 2 322403 I am in need of finding his Home guard records.These are the medals and a silver souvenir that was given to him serving with the 4th Tank Battalion Sports.

IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

Hello topdeer.

I don't know how easy it is to obtain HG service records and I hope you have some luck, but please CAREFULLY remove those nasty staples from the ribbons, they will damage the weave and invariably rust.

regards

khaki

I agree with what you say about the staples. It was not me that put them there it was the auctioneers. I keep my medals in display cases I would of thought they would know better. These are a friends group I am working on.

regards

Andy 

The WW2 Home Guard or Local Defence Volunteer Force Records are not in the public domain as yet. The exception being the Durham LDVF which are held at the NA. You can apply to the MoD for his records. See here.........

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/home-guard-personnel/

been having a look at forces war records, I see is WW1 MIC is on ancestry and just wondering if his other records are held back because of the hold on WW2 records as Home Guard not open yet

11 minutes ago, chaz said:

been having a look at forces war records, I see is WW1 MIC is on ancestry and just wondering if his other records are held back because of the hold on WW2 records as Home Guard not open yet

Think you're spot on Chaz. WW2 service records are still held by MoD. They aren't in the public domain but you can apply for someone's records if you gave an interest but you will only get brief records unless you have NoK permission or 25 years has lapsed since their death.

what didn't come  out previously, (low band width in rural France), is Forces war Records advertise Home Guard records, but cant find him. may have to sit on the pc in UK to try various options

14 minutes ago, chaz said:

what didn't come  out previously, (low band width in rural France), is Forces war Records advertise Home Guard records, but cant find him. may have to sit on the pc in UK to try various options

The Home Guard records, shown on Forces War Records, are the Home Guard Officer's List and also Home Guard Auxiliary Units (The Saboteur chaps). To find the records of the ordinary Home Guard/LDV chaps, you will have to follow LawryLeslie's link in post 4.

Do you know that Frederick served in the Home Guard? He could have been entitled to the Defence Medal due his service in the Special Constabulary.

It is also worth checking the 1939 Register on Findmypast (pay to view), as this occasionally shows members of the Air Raid Precautions or Special Constabulary.

Sepoy

Edited by Sepoy

3 hours ago, Sepoy said:

The Home Guard records, shown on Forces War Records, are the Home Guard Officer's List and also Home Guard Auxiliary Units (The Saboteur chaps). To find the records of the ordinary Home Guard/LDV chaps, you will have to follow LawryLeslie's link in post 4.

Do you know that Frederick served in the Home Guard? He could have been entitled to the Defence Medal due his service in the Special Constabulary.

It is also worth checking the 1939 Register on Findmypast (pay to view), as this occasionally shows members of the Air Raid Precautions or Special Constabulary.

Sepoy

Hi Sepoy. Don’t think the Special Constabulary Medal entitled him to the Defence Medal which was awarded to the Home Guard.  My Grandfather recieved the Special Constabulary Medal in WW2 but was not awarded the Defence Medal.

I have noticed something different with the souvenir medal. The initials are different to the name on the medal group. I thing it reads

C. S. M. Hann or C. J. M. Hann. So was this his brothers or another persons.