Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can you translate this MIC please.

Barry Russell

Hi Guys.

This is the Medal card of my 3rd Great Aunts Husband.

Apart from the obvious details on the top line such as regiment and medals can anyone translate some of the remarks in the lower section? I have no idea.

I also have no idea about his service, I can find no reference to him being killed thankfully.

Thanks 

Screenshot_20171019-012632.jpg

When you say lower down, not sure how far you mean.

Anyway, the main body of the MIC says that he was a prisoner of war ("P of war"), that he was "eligible" (for the 1914 medal), and that his qualifying date - the date he entered the operational theater, was 14/8/1914

7 minutes ago, Wexflyer said:

When you say lower down, not sure how far you mean.

Anyway, the main body of the MIC says that he was a prisoner of war ("P of war"), that he was "eligible" (for the 1914 medal), and that his qualifying date - the date he entered the operational theater, was 14/8/1914

Thanks for that, what about the remarks in between? C/468? Elegitte? CIR NW/5/37533 

13 minutes ago, Barry Russell said:

Thanks for that, what about the remarks in between? C/468? Elegitte? CIR NW/5/37533 

The letters and numbers are probably references to correspondence? 

What you read as "Eligitte" I think is Eligible.

Edited by Wexflyer

7 minutes ago, Bardess said:

C&R = Clasp & Roses

His PoW record is here

Amazing, Thank you

The C 468 reference is an old folio number for his 1914 Star Medal roll now in WO329/2477 indexed on the card by the 'B5 page 141'  in the stamped area.

I think the pencil writing C 468 eligible is possibly a check against his 1914 medal roll to see if he was eligible for the Clasp & Roses rather than the 1914 Star.

His C&R were issued in March 1931. I had a look at MICs for the other men on the same roll page with later applications for the C&R and none of the others have the C 468 eligible so his is unusual.

One would think that the issuing of the 1914 Star which originated from the Medal roll wouln't then need checking against the medal roll but perhaps his application for the C&R did. However, one would then expect to see references to the old folio numbers on lots of MICs. Perhaps him being a POW from OCT 1914 has some relevance?

TEW

Hi Barry,

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 01:31, Barry Russell said:

I also have no idea about his service...

Henry has a set of service papers - here on Findmypast, or here on Ancestry.

Regards

Chris