Son of:  Percy Cranston Phillips MD & Lieutenant RAMC

GB Royal Aero Club Aviators Certificate 5082 -

Taken on:  Avro Biplane

At:  Royal Naval Air Station, Redcar

Date:  20 July 1917

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=14378425&ref=acom

Casualties - Naval Officers, Dockett No. 1911 -

Name:  PHILLIPS, GEO. H.

Branch of Service:  RN (RNAS No. 6 Wing Taranto)

Place of death:  At sea owing to trouble with Machine

Date of death:   7 January 1918

Cause:  Drowned - Machine forced to come down on the sea in heavy weather

JP

Edited by helpjpl

The circumstances of TF/SL Phillips' demise are detailed in a book focusing on the RNAS-RAF in the Adriatic, which will be published in the USA.

More details here: 

https://intheskiesofforgottencourage.wordpress.com

7 January 1918 was No.6 Wing's black day. 'Sasco' Island was in fact SASENO Island, at the entrance of Valona Bay. May I ask you where does your interest in Phillips stem from?

Kindest regards, Ago

Edited by Ago
mistake

12 hours ago, Ago said:

The circumstances of TF/SL Phillips' demise are detailed in a book focusing on the RNAS-RAF in the Adriatic, which will be published in the USA.

More details here: 

7 January 1918 was No.6 Wing's black day. 'Sasco' Island was in fact SASENO Island, at the entrance of Valona Bay. May I ask you where does your interest in Phillips stem from?

Kindest regards, Ago

The above link shows that this publication should certainly be a welcome addition to the bookshelves of anyone with an interest in the RNAS in this particular theatre, and indeed Naval Aviation in general.

Hello Ago, Phillips is on the Lambourne (Essex) War Memorial. I don't know of any association by him to the village other than I have a reference to him living at Whitehall in the centre of Abridge (part of Lambourne Parish) In my youth Whitehall was the home and surgery of the local GP but I don't know how it was used in 1918. And why would an airman be billeted (if that was the case) in a village miles from any airfield and 30 miles from the sea ?

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

According to the following records on ancestry, George's father - Percy Cranston Phillips MD - lived at White Hall, Abridge for several years:

UK & Ireland Medical Directories: - 1915

The Medical Register :- 1919

City and County Directories: -  1912, 1914, 1917. Kelly's Directory states -  'physician & surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator No. 4 dist. Ongar union'

JP

thanks JP really interesting. Whitehall was the doctors surgery when i was in my teens. Now demolished for a small housing estate.

Patrick 

George's service record is on findmypast. Free access to military records until 11.59pm on 12 November:

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/free-military-records-2507754965.html

Edit - From George's service record -

Name of Person to be Informed of Casualties:  Percy Cranston Phillips

Address:  White Hall, Abridge, Romford, Essex

Relationship:  Father

JP

Edited by helpjpl

• 3 months later...

Just coming back on this

What aircraft might George have been flying ?

Does anyone know what action he might have been involved in ?

Tahanks

Patrick

On 18/10/2017 at 22:56, Ago said:

More details here: 

Kindest regards, Ago

Ago,   I believe the island is off the coast of Albania. Are you able to elaborate on what action was taking place there that Phillips may have been in. Also your comment on it being a black day for No 6 Wing.

Regards

Patrick

Patrick,

That day RNAS Otranto lost four crewmen and as many aircraft in the space of a few hours, hence the description of it as the Wing's black day. Phillips became MIA while out on an a/s patrol off the shores of Otranto (Apulia, Southern Italy). His body was never found.

As already said, this sad episode is described in full detail - with the aid of primary British and Italian documents -on pp 127-130 of In the Skies of Forgotten Courage. Release is not very far off.

Very best regards.

Ago

Thanks Ago, every little helps !!  Do you know what plane he would have been flying. ?

Patrick

• 8 months later...

Thank you so much for discussing this topic. George Hugh Phillips was (would have been) my father's uncle... my grand mother's brother...only son to Dr Percy Phillips.

I found some info in GH Phillips through Marlborough College. I am very grateful for all this extra info that you have provided here... the family will be grateful.

Regards

Simon Martin

Edited by Guest