Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bury Grammar School Tour

Mark Hone

At the end of the week we shall be setting out on our 24th annual school battlefields tour. This tour concentrates on the Third Battle of Ypres, in which 13 old boys of the school died. Sadly, this year will mark the last of seven tours with my fellow historian John, 'The Ginger Giant', who is moving on to pastures new. For the first time, however, we welcome a colleague who came on four tours as a pupil at the school. Some people never learn. We shall be visiting, amongst other sites, the grave of our 1914 School Captain John Hartington MC at Lijssenthoek and Vlamertinge New Cemetery where the great-great grandfather of one of the tour party (to whom he bears a strong resemblance) is buried. We shall also be tracing the attack by 66th Division towards Passchendaele on 9th October 1917, in which two old boys won Military Crosses. 

Passchendaele Cover.jpg

Edited by Mark Hone

Have a great time, hope the weather is kind to you.  Look forward to your report back here.

Mandy

Huge respect for you doing these tours Mark and providing such important experiences to these youngsters which they will never forget.

If you happen to be passing Boetleer's Farm, near the  Canadian Memorial on Gravenstafel Ridge, please spare a moment for the young lads of the 8th DLI who were decimated there late April 1915 in 2nd Ypres.

Best wishes

Charles

boot1.jpg

Have a great time Mark; I particularly like the way that each trip you've reported on has been different. I'll look forward to the report on this one too.

Pete.

Hello Mark.

Well done with the years of work you have put in to your Battlefield tours with young people, a credit to you! Given the date and the chance that you may visit Tyne Cot, this is a place rarely visited. 

As you leave Tyne Cot by the bottom gate, go left. follow the road passed some houses and fields for about 200yrd's . You will see a post on the floor , saying the Australian Way. Walk up what is now a walkway and cycle path towards the road to Passchendaele. My Grandfather's start point was just over the road on the 9.10.17.

A image taken by Cpt . Frank Hurley on the 12.10. 17.post-49107-0-13184500-1340566281_thumb.jpg 

..post-49107-0-38385900-1340567696_thumb.jpg

andpost-49107-0-50830500-1432574070_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I was planning to include the walk along the track from Dash to Defy Crossing as I've done it before-it's where the body of an unknown 3/5th LF officer was found in 2005. Unfortunately I ran out of time yesterday as we needed to be on our way back to Zeebrugge. We did stop at the 66th Div Memorial window in Passchendaele to find the small wreath we laid on our 2002 tour still in place on the altar below.

Edited by Mark Hone