Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to trace a Christian Name

Guest Julian Cass

Guest Julian Cass

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I are trying to trace a family member who was in the Great War, his name was 'Barton D' and his service number was 116610 RFA. I do not have his first name other than the initial 'D'. I know that he was in the RFA as a Driver. I have his Medal Index Card but he is not listed in the Medal Rolls.

Without knowing his christian name I am not able to trace him in any other records. In the Medal Index Card he is listed only as 'D. Barton' together with his service number 116610 RFA. There is no first name, only surname and initial.

Can you help me figure out how I can either find more about him or see if his full name is in any other form of records? I can find nothing else in the National Archives. I cannot get any info from Births & Deaths because for that I need his full name.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Julian

Hi Julian,

Try 1901 Census if you have sufficient details of his whereabouts at that time. Also a birth certificate will give this detail. May sound a little simplistic but you have to start somewhere.

Roop

Guest Julian Cass

Thanks Roop - we tried the census already, since we have no idea of his whereabouts at the time it brought up nothing, for the certificate we need the first name which is our (I think) biggest problem, we only have an initial, 'D' and not the full first name. Thanks for the suggestion anyhow

Julian

Julian,

Welcome to the forum Merry Christmas.

You say you've checked the medal index card, but have you downloaded it? Sometimes the card can other info, in particular the roll index for the relevant medals... this could lead to a first name.

Les.

Hi Julian,

Roop is right. If you know where he was living around the time he enlisted, then you should be able to find him on the 1901 census. Other info you might have will also help you such as:-

Fathers name, Mothers name, his age (during the war), any brothers or sisters he might have had. This info will help you to track him down on the 1901 census. If you get stuck PM me and i will try and help.

Glynn.