Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daily Mail Golden peace number

eskimo

Hi pals,

Yesterday while rummaging around my local antique shop i came across a newspaper dated Monday June 30 1919 a special Golden addition commemorating the peace signing in Paris, it is packed with info and pictures of the signing, articles of the great war, pictures of peace signatures, German fleet at scapa flow a few days before they scuppered. but to share this info and pictures i am concerned about copyright. Anybody out there know the law for newspaper copyright. Incidently i paid £2.00p for it, cost in 1919 was one shilling.

Regards Eskimo.

No, I don't but I wish I'd been the one to find it. Well done.

Robbie :P

According to the British Newspaper Library at : www.bl.uk/collections/newspapers

"For an unsigned or anonymous article: copyright expires 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was made, or made available to the public. For example, a newspaper published in 1930 is out of copyright in 2001.

For a signed article: copyright extends until 70 years from the end of the calendar year in whcih the author died.

The ownership of copyright will depend on whether the journalist was a staff reporter or a freelancer? whether the article was a syndicated article? and so forth. When an article is prepared as part of a journalist's permanent employment, the copyright belongs to the publisher; otherwise it probably still belongs to the author. Rules on commissioned articles are complex and advice should be sought."

:D

Thanks for the replies,

I think the best bet is an email to the mail, asking if it will be ok, and hope!

Regards Eskimo :)

• 4 months later...

:D

Thanks for the replies,

I think the best bet is an email to the mail, asking if it will be ok, and hope!

Regards Eskimo :)

[hello eskimo,i was told by a pal that any photo taken before 1950 no longer has any copyright,but check just in case,bernard