Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval wood tour

KIRKY

Anyone know if this is on this Saturday or Sunday?

Tony

Good morning Tony,

According to the website there are tours on both days but not on Mondays but whether this is up to date I don't know.

Apparently there are 2 daily tours at 11am and 3pm but you need to pre-book.

If I were you I'd call them:

Thiepval Wood Tours

March-November Tuesday-Sunday 11am or 3pm by prior arrangement. No Tours on Mondays

Closed December-February

Location: Route de St.Pierre Divion, 80300, Thiepval, France. Latitude 50.0652671 Longitude 2.675322899999969

Contact details: Tel: (0033) 3 22 74 87 14, email: ulstertower@sommeassociation.com or sommeassociation@btconnect.com

Best wishes

Charles

is there a web site about the tour also how long does it take, just thinking do they allow dogs or wondering how long ours would have to sit in the car. 

46 minutes ago, chaz said:

is there a web site about the tour also how long does it take, just thinking do they allow dogs or wondering how long ours would have to sit in the car. 

twitter : https://twitter.com/sommeassoc?lang=fr

Have emailed both contacts and not heard anything back.:( Any one been there recently?

Tony

I just rang and Teddy and his wife are back for a couple of weeks, booked for Saturday.

Tony

1 hour ago, chaz said:

ah, maybe why I haven't had a reply yet then.

There are limited tours as theyare short staffed, not doing them Sunday.

Tony

yes, just checked. had a reply but no mention of how long the tour is.

I suppose if its not too hot Stormm will be ok in the car.

From memory Chaz it's about an hour and well worth doing.

Also I don't see why you couldn't take your dog if on a lead but you obviously need to check.

Went on the tour on Saturday and as usual was great, hosted by Teddy, although my 5th one he still brings out new info every time, not to be missed!

Tony

3 hours ago, KIRKY said:

Went on the tour on Saturday and as usual was great, hosted by Teddy, although my 5th one he still brings out new info every time, not to be missed!

Tony

what about your dog ?

2 hours ago, mva said:

what about your dog ?

I expect he enjoyed it too, lots of trees!

Looking on a map, the Wood goes for some distance along the east side of the river between Authuille and Miraumont.  How much of it do they own and where exactly does the tour cover, please?

5 hours ago, Stuart T said:

Looking on a map, the Wood goes for some distance along the east side of the river between Authuille and Miraumont.  How much of it do they own and where exactly does the tour cover, please?

Don’t know how much they own but the tour enters the wood behind the Connaught cemetery and extends 50m each way if I remember correctly .

That's good - exactly where Willie McBride fought on 22 April 1916.

as in my sig, great uncle Arthur is in Connaught, passed by today. unfortunately school trip today so not allowed on the 11am one so have booked for tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Stuart T said:

That's good - exactly where Willie McBride fought on 22 April 1916.

We visited his grave at the weekend and played Eric Bogles song as we stood over it, very moving.

Tony

Did the same in April, the day before his anniversary but we sat down with him!  I made a video and the birdsong was louder than the music.  Very nice place, even a few trains to watch through the trees.

went over today, weather good not too warm, stormm sat in the car. Teddy was in fine form and the trenches over the valley showed up well.

3 couples then a coach of REME turned up so a bit packed through the woods. will definitely go again in the future.

teddy and trenches.JPG

7 hours ago, John Cubin said:

It's a small world. Went on the tour last Thursday, thoroughly enjoyed it. Chaz, that's me dead centre with my two pals behind me.

A right shady looking bunch!

What's Teddy doing there? I thought he had retired [again] ?