Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial of the dead

thetrenchrat22

Hi 

would units stray in to other divisional and brigade areas to burial their dead.  

Instead of staying in their own brigade and divisional boundaries 

I think yes may be the answer, however here is a quote from Longworth's 'The Unending Vigil'

Official site were so few at first that some units jealously guarded their right to bury their dead in a particular ground. Sometimes one would claim an exclusive right, as did the 7th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers who had been fighting near Mazingarbe in 1916 put up a large notice board on the cemetery called 'Philosophe', announcing that 'it was their private property' and threatening trespassers, even battalions of their own division. Such acts of private enterprise were, now curtailed.

At the time of Neuve Chappelle, 6th Cheshires were under the direct command of GHQ undertaking a variety of "back office" tasks. One hundred men were ordered to the battlefield for, mainly, burial parties. Their official stertcher bearers each supervised groups of other troops in the removal of wounded and the dead.

Thank you for your replies.  

I came across some some papers I printed off the CWGC website, whilst helping a colleague, researching his Great Uncles death at Loos.  I had a look at a number of cemeteries in the area and found an Unknown British Soldier who had a date of death of 18th June 1916 who is buried in Philosophe British Cemetery 

Now there are only 2 soldiers who have this date and who no known grave.  1 on Loos and 1 on Arras.  

1 was 13th Bn East Surrey Regt, part of 40th Division.  Who were attached to the 15th Scottish Division for training.  

The other 1 from 2nd Bn KRRC of the 1st Division.  

The 40th & 15th Divisions were in the Philosophe area.  

Would units from the 1st Division stray into another divisional area to bury there dead