Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial destroyed

jim_davies

The Williamson And Cliff Brickyards War Memorial, in Stamford Lincs commemorting those employees who served or died during the 2nd World War has been inadvertantly destroyed.

The brickyards had been slated for demolition for sometime, with the British Legion attempting to gain access to remove the memorial.

http://www.stamfordtoday.co.uk/viewarticle...ge=Results.aspx

Jim

Too late for Williamson and Cliff Brickyards war memorial but let's try to save the next one. Maybe we could use the strength and reach of the forum to compile a database of memorials at risk and work out a strategy for conserving them.

I imagine those at greatest risk will be industrial and commercial memorials but not even those in drill halls are safe. I know of a drill hall that became a tyre depot and the marble wall plaque memorial to all those killed in the collision of the troop transports Hythe and Sarnia was moved to safety not a moment too soon.

Jim,

A very sad and in my opinion avoidable occurence.

Given that the builders must have known of its existence and the interest shown by the BL perhaps thay may like to stump up for a replacement.

Stories of fires which result in demolition are a regular feature of redevelopment and very convenient. Make them pay is my immediate thought.

Roop

Quite agree how on earth can a amemorial be "inadvertently" destroyed? By their own admission the developer knew it was there. What ever happened yet again another act of historical vandalism. Perhaps they developer and the BRL did not have good relationships, and they dont sound the happiest but this is disgraceful. Happy Christmas all. SG

Sadly this occurence could have been easily avioded. It appears that the RBL had made repeated efforts to engage the developer to have the memorial relocated.

Clive-like the idea about memorials at risk database.

Happy holidays to one and all (although perhaps not to grasping developers....)

Jim

To me it's just another example of the worrying trend of ignorance. Surely anyone would pause at seeing an obvious memorial / work of art? Is there no way these people can be held to account?

just an update from the Stamford Mercury. some people have started a search to save the memorial. They have found quite a bit of it already. Let's hope they find the rest as well.

Keith

Hi All,

Too full of rage at the moment to respond to this thread properly !!!!

Cheers

Tim.

just an update from the Stamford Mercury. some people have started a search to save the memorial. They have found quite a bit of it already. Let's hope they find the rest as well.

Keith

Lets hope they can.But it should never have got this far should it !!.

Stephen