Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Direct enlistment into Motor Machine Gun Service (RA)?

rolt968

Was it possible for men to enlist direct into Motor Machine Gun Service (RA)/ Light Armoured Battery, Machine Gun Corps (Motors)/ LAMB or did men enlist in the artillery in general and were transferred?

A father and two sons, all blacksmiths enlisted in May/June 1915. The father and one son became shoeing smiths in the RFA (father, a corporal). The other son served in 13 Light Armoured Battery, Machine Gun Corps (Motors). The father's record survived (although charred). He was originally down for the ASC, but that seems to have been changed almost immediately.

RM

3 hours ago, Maureene said:

It was possible at 1 July 1915, so perhaps possible in May/June 1915

"Motor Machine Gun Service: Vacancies for Motor Cyclists, Mechanics and Car Drivers" to enlist in the M.M.G.S. (R. F.A). The Motor Cycle, Volume 15, July 1st, 1915, page 10

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you, Maureene!

That is very useful.

I wonder under which category my man qualified. Possibly more than one or even all three. One of his cousins was pinched (more than once, I think) for motorcycling offences post war.

RM

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this post as I was away at work. Just saw the link posted in Delta's thread. Be interested to know who this chap was. I research both MMGS and L.A.M.B. If you can post a name and service number - I can check if I have anything on him and also narrow down enlistment date. To confirm what has been mentioned in previous replies - he would have joined to the MMGS direct prior to MGC existing. The majority of the other ranks were direct volunteers recruited due to their motorcycling/technical abilities. If he joined May/June 1915 (depending where he was from) he may have attended a local recruiting office, as at this point the MMGS were advertising in the national and regional newspapers also, and had mobile teams moving around the country to specifically target certain areas. There was a heavy recruiting drive in Scotland at this time. There is a probability he was in another unit  prior to joining the 13th L.A.M.B as they were not formed until 1916. 13th L.A.M.B was established as a full L.A.M.B unit (8 Rolls Royce cars) and was actually formed from the disbanded 20th MMG (motorcycle)battery. In turn 20th Battery would have been formed in late summer/early autumn 1915. I have some research on a casualty to 13th L.A.M.B in Mesopotamia and on their CO.

David

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:43, david murdoch said:

Sorry I missed this post as I was away at work. Just saw the link posted in Delta's thread. Be interested to know who this chap was. I research both MMGS and L.A.M.B. If you can post a name and service number - I can check if I have anything on him and also narrow down enlistment date. To confirm what has been mentioned in previous replies - he would have joined to the MMGS direct prior to MGC existing. The majority of the other ranks were direct volunteers recruited due to their motorcycling/technical abilities. If he joined May/June 1915 (depending where he was from) he may have attended a local recruiting office, as at this point the MMGS were advertising in the national and regional newspapers also, and had mobile teams moving around the country to specifically target certain areas. There was a heavy recruiting drive in Scotland at this time. There is a probability he was in another unit  prior to joining the 13th L.A.M.B as they were not formed until 1916. 13th L.A.M.B was established as a full L.A.M.B unit (8 Rolls Royce cars) and was actually formed from the disbanded 20th MMG (motorcycle)battery. In turn 20th Battery would have been formed in late summer/early autumn 1915. I have some research on a casualty to 13th L.A.M.B in Mesopotamia and on their CO.

David

Thank you David!

I will send you a PM at the weekend.

RM