Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roy Williams - RIP

trajan

I don't have 100% confirmation but according to GBF, Roy Williams is no longer with us on earth. See: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?854098-Roy-Williams-deceased

As many bayonet-buffs will know, Roy was the author of two excellent reference works - THE COLLECTORS BOOK OF GERMAN BAYONETS 1680-1945 PART ONE, which did the pre-Imperials, and the Imperials up to the Weimar; and also the companion THE COLLECTORS BOOK OF GERMAN BAYONETS 1680-1945 PART TWO, on the Ersatz and Ersocs, and 'beute Seitengewehren'. When I last corresponded with him he was working on THE COLLECTORS BOOK OF GERMAN BAYONETS 1680-1945 PART THREE, which was on the Weimar and 3R ones, and with which he was having some problems sorting them all out! Not my period, as you will all know, and perhaps the volume was finished or is at least in press - I don't know. 

What fewer bayonet buffs will know is that Roy was a great influence on Carter and so on German bayonet studies in a wider sense, being the illustrator for Carter's German bayonet volumes, and also the typesetter and printer for these. Quite by chance I have Carter's vol. 4 in front of me and I quote: "Roy Williams has as always supported me while preparing this volume. His tireless enthusiasm for the subject, his advice and most of all his encouragement have been of tremendous help. He also gave me his technical expertise while photographing some of the bayonets. He advised me over the book's layout and prepared the final copy. In this fourth volume I was able to to examine, borrow and photograph many rare bayonets in his private collection". And the imprint of that volume, p.2, reads: "Layout and electronic work by: Roy Williams Graphics"...

I never met him, but - as with many others - I greatly benefited from his published works and from corresponding with him, so his death leaves a large hole in my area of interest with regard to the Great War.

His email account is now closed, and so I have been unable to send condolences - but if I establish a way of contacting the family I will pass this on for those who wish also to communicate their condolences.

Julian

Just to confirm, this from his widow, Roy "passed away peacefully in his sleep, after a short illness" on the 27th. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was very sorry to hear that Roy had passed away. I purchased his book on German bayonet frogs recently and like the others it is superb. Highly recommended for any bayonet collectors out there.

My condolences to his family. He has left a wonderful legacy for those who shared his interest.

Jonathan

A tragedy indeed in our somewhat restricted area of studies. I have made no further contact with his widow or family but naturaly wonder (and worry!) what the future of his photographic and written archive will be. He was probably the last of a generation who could easily, relatively speaking, know what there was going on in regards to people trading in German bayonets. So, an encyclopedic knowledge...