Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Colonel Edward Henry Eley CMG CBE DSO TD ADC, Royal Field Artillery

Hi all,

I'm beginning to research Edward Henry Eley and wonder if anyone can help or already has some information? From 1927-1941 he was ADC to the King. He died Plumstead/Woolwich in 1949.

Unfortunately, his medals were stolen in a house burglary about twenty years ago.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks,,

Matt

image.jpeg.89558f2a457a8ba255e4056fe67d59ec.jpeg

ELEY, Colonel Edward Henry, C.M.G. 1916: C.B.E. 1923: D.S.O. 1918: T.D.; D.L. (London) 1929.

Born 1874; son of Henry Eley of Colnbrook, Bucks.  Married 1909, Beatrice Eleanor youngest daughter of Colonel  W. Narborough of Woolwich. One son, one daughter. Served European War 1914-1918 (despatches, C.M.G., D.S.O.) A.D.C. to King 1927-41. Address 11 Court Road, Eltham, S.E.9., died 2nd Nov 1949.

Source: Who Was Who, Volume IV, 1941-1950, pages 352-353.

Andy

Try the London gazette 

His death was announced in The Times on 3 November 1949 (he had died on 2 November). In this announcement it stated that he had been chairman of the Woolwich Equitable Building Society from January 1947 until he stood down, due to illness, in September [1949].

Further information was given in a report of a meeting of the Woolwich Equitable Building Society, published in The Times on 16 December 1949 when it was stated that he had joined the Board of the Woolwich Equitable Building Society in 1931 and was appointed vice chairman in September 1940. It further stated that he was a chartered architect and surveyor.   

• 3 years later...

If these were stolen can you reclaim them? I mean if a family member - police report that sort of thing?

Edited by Alisonmallen62

Update, as I’ve spoken to the family. Or at least the family I know. There’s a bit of confusion now as to whether these were the ones they initially meant as stolen, and whether that may have referred to Eley’s son’s medals insteadbut we will check in the morning.

thanks to all who flagged this sale anyway.

Interestingly his granddaughter remembers the medals on his coffin during the procession, which she watched as a small child.

• 1 year later...

Dear All,

I am hoping that Matt is still part of the forum, new to this forum as I am also interested in the history of Colonel E H Eley.

I am new to the forum and became interested in Colonel E H Eley when as a member of a masonic lodge I am tasked with reading out the minutes of a lodge meeting held 100 years ago. The meeting was being held at the Shakespeare Hotel, Powis Street Woolwich, 1st February 1923, Worshipful Brother E H Eley was presiding.

The Lodge was formed at Woolwich in 1862 and Colonel Eley was the master of the Lodge in 1923.

There isn't a lot of information within the minutes, however, it got me thinking about the man, the decorations and awards that he had and I want to investigate his history and if possible put a presentation together about a past master of the lodge.

If any further information is available I would be grateful to receive anything that would contribute to this.

Many thanks

Ken

On 28/09/2017 at 13:01, Guest said:

Unfortunately, his medals were stolen in a house burglary about twenty years ago.

A WW1 CMG, DSO medal group presented to Lieutenant Colonel Edward Henry Eley CMG, CBE, DSO, TD, ADC (easyliveauction.com)

"Apparently this lot is listed as stolen on the Great War Forum which mystifies our vendor who is the grandson of the recipient."

• Admin

@Matt JB is still visiting the forum.

4 hours ago, kenthegas said:

Dear All,

I am hoping that Matt is still part of the forum, new to this forum as I am also interested in the history of Colonel E H Eley.

I am new to the forum and became interested in Colonel E H Eley when as a member of a masonic lodge I am tasked with reading out the minutes of a lodge meeting held 100 years ago. The meeting was being held at the Shakespeare Hotel, Powis Street Woolwich, 1st February 1923, Worshipful Brother E H Eley was presiding.

The Lodge was formed at Woolwich in 1862 and Colonel Eley was the master of the Lodge in 1923.

There isn't a lot of information within the minutes, however, it got me thinking about the man, the decorations and awards that he had and I want to investigate his history and if possible put a presentation together about a past master of the lodge.

If any further information is available I would be grateful to receive anything that would contribute to this.

Many thanks

Ken

Hello Ken,

Yes, I am still in touch with his granddaughter who is the wife of a good friend. I’m not sure how much she will know or if they have other documents. I know that there was a burglary from her father, and that the ownership and sale of the medals was, shall we say, a bracing surprise. If you’d care to message me direct and we can exchange emails, I will certainly enquire for you. As i understand it Eley declined most honours, including a peerage. 

6 hours ago, kenthegas said:

Some research that may be of interest.