Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A GRADE II LISTED WAR MEMORIAL WITH NO NAMES. AT THE MOMENT

Nipper Alan

Ossett is a small town in the West Yorkshire district of Wakefield. It has a Grade II listed War Memorial unveiled on 11th November 1928. In its original form it had an inscription and a second one was added in the late 1940’s.  There is no mention of the number or the names of the 303 men of Ossett who died in the Great War or of the 80 or so Ossett men and women who suffered a similar fate in 1939-45.The Memorial has three blank sides.  It can be seen at this link. https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/190457/

No publically available roll of honour which carries these names exists anywhere.

Research and the biographies of the WWI Ossett men can be seen at http://ossett.net/ww1.html

There is a funded proposal, supported by local councillors of three political persuasions, to add these names on a number of plaques to be fixed to the War Memorial in a manner which preserves its  integrity  and the original inscriptions. Designs will test whether this can be achieved.

The hope is that the work can be completed for unveiling on 11th November 2018.

Not unreasonably, listed building consent will be required and the local Council have indicated that the applicants should investigate any precedents for this type of scheme.

I could go on at length about the pros and cons of such a proposal and I often do. I don’t mind, indeed I welcome, any views which fellow members of the Forum may have in this regard.

However my main purpose is to ask if anyone has experience or knowledge of a similar project  which could be quoted as evidence of  a precedent for this type of proposal.

Terry, Thank you.   I have had a look at the link. I had heard that the War Memorials Trust was a conservation charity and that their preference was that there shouldn't be any significant change to original structures. I don't find anything quite so strident on the site so I hope this isn't the case.

I do fully understand how fundamentally  important it is that the integrity of the structure be retained. It's simply that the Memorial is pretty anonymous with folk walking past every day without a glance and without the knowledge of the sacrifice made by the men and women who lost their lives. How else can these men and women be remembered unless we, and those who follow us, know their names?

Thank you again.

Hello Nipper

Our village memorial (a very large one for a small village!) has no names on it, however there is a commemorative plaque with names in the church. The Lady of the "Big House" I presume funding all or a large part of both. Very unusual for the names not to be recorded anywhere. Is there any indication of a tablet or similar in a religious or local government building that has been lost?

Cheers

SGOB

2 hours ago, Nipper Alan said:

Terry, Thank you.   I have had a look at the link. I had heard that the War Memorials Trust was a conservation charity and that their preference was that there shouldn't be any significant change to original structures. I don't find anything quite so strident on the site so I hope this isn't the case.

I do fully understand how fundamentally  important it is that the integrity of the structure be retained. It's simply that the Memorial is pretty anonymous with folk walking past every day without a glance and without the knowledge of the sacrifice made by the men and women who lost their lives. How else can these men and women be remembered unless we, and those who follow us, know their names?

Thank you again.

Nipper

You are quite right about conservation and the WMT, I have had significant dealings with them, however I am suggesting that they might be able to provide some data as to whether memorials have have been granted or refused permission.

Have you considered the  possibility of having a separate memorial plaque placed in a local church perhaps, to complement the memorial. That way you avoid whole lot of red tape and have a better chance of getting your commemoration?

Good luck with the project.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry,

Thank you again. We do have contingency plans in the event that the planning authority don't support the detailed  proposal. They have been encouraging of the proposal at officer level but  they do require us to consult with the War Memorials Trust. This makes me feel that my first instinct, that it may not be supported, may be correct.

Nonetheless I shall be in touch with the Trust for a view and the information mentioned

Thank you,

Much appreciated

Alan