Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Access to Villers-Faucon

Drew-1918

Hello,

I would like to start planning for a trip to Villers-Faucon next summer. I want to see my great-great-uncle's grave and to pay my respects. I would also like to walk around Villers-Faucon as I have read quite a lot about the fighting around there when my relative died. This may seem strange, but whenever I have tried to look at Villers-Faucon on Google Maps, I have never been able to enter the village in 'street view'. It seems like the roads have some sort of private access restriction on them. I know that the CWGC cemetery in Ste. Emilie is accessible, but I would also like to have a look round Villers-Faucon if possible. Has anyone ever been there or knows anything about this area?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Chris

Chris

cant explain why, other than  it seems there are a lot of broken links on the maps, some roads may be deemed to narrow, not usually a problem but one particular lane I went down shows nearly every telegraph pole with unconnected wires. D101 and D72. maybe the pictures were taken individually not as a film/slideshow. unless this has something to do with it?

http://www.hautsdefrance.chambres-agriculture.fr/environnement-territoires/amenagement-du-territoire/ouvrages-lineaires/transport-de-gaz/pontru-02-a-villers-faucon-80/

might just have to put villers faucon in search google images, maybe there is something secret in sugar in that part of the world???

Edited by chaz

Thanks very much Chaz, interesting things to think about there. I had a look on Google images and it does seem that there is access, like you say. 

The sugar factory is still going, eh?!

Edited by Drew-1918

Thanks again, Chaz. 

This is where I regret not listening in French classes at school. 

• Admin

I'm in the process of booking a gite there for next March. Will let you know if there is a veil of secrecy after my visit! 

Michelle 

Thanks a lot, Michelle. Very good of you. I would love to hear any info you might have. 

Cheers,

Chris

• 5 months later...
  • Admin

Well we arrived here last night, there isn't a great deal in the village. Two bars, one is for sale,  no shop. However the gite is fabulous. 

Will start exploring today, drove past the huge sucrerie and saw Ste Emilie valley.

suns out and there's snow on the ground.

Thanks very much for the update, Michelle. Sounds like it hasn't changed much in a hundred years. Very interesting detail. 

I hope you have a very nice trip. 

• Admin

Respects paid earlier for you. Photos to follow. I told him  you’d be over in September 

Michelle 

That's very good of you to do that. I am really moved. Thank you so much.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hi Chris

Taken a while, but here are the photos. It wasn't a very nice day when we were there but hopefully you can get the general idea of the landscape. We are already making plans to return.

Michelle

IMG_7135.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

IMG_7145.JPG

Hello Michelle,

That was a very nice thing for you to do. Thank you so much. I am so happy that someone was able to pay their respects. It is many years since the family were able to do that.

The shots from further back are very interesting too. I would never have thought to do that. Some of the things I have read in the war diary about the day he was killed are made clearer by your shots. 

Many thanks again,

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hello there,

This is just to say thanks again to everyone for their help and information. I have now made my trip. It was my first time in France to visit the war graves. Needless to say it was a very moving experience.

Many thanks,

Chris

Edited by Drew-1918

• Admin

Glad that you had a great visit Chris. Will be paying a visit to the area next month; will try to drop in if I can.

Michelle